Inexperienced self-builder shoots self in foot: again.

I've got 25mm left. Between the slab and FFL. And we want a wet room. Ain't gonna happen is it?

Well anyway thats what the man from Topps tiles said. 

Yes, yes, I know. And if you look at some of my earlier threads (2 - 3  years ago) you'll  understand why. 

Moving swiftly on, I need to dig out.  By how much?

(PS, I've got the drain hole in the right place - and for me thats a success)

What's the issue as advised by Topps man? I didn't do wet room but do have a slight step up onto my tiles (15mm) - admittedly absorbed by carpet - so your 25mm could be 40mm to play with before you start digging a slab? Even wooden flooring will add 15mm onto pour ffl? Or is the ffl including the covering? 

2 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

[...]

or is it the same level as the rest of the floors? In which case yes, might be tricky. 

25mm is all I have between the slab and FFL.

I'm planning for the almost inevitable stint in a wheelchair, so I'd love to able to wheel myself into a wet room. No, I did not keep a dropped section for the wet room.

My question is: how much of the current slab should I dig out - given that I have a 25mm head-start as it were....? 

Sheet over the rest of the floor with 18mm/25mm ply except the bit of the wet room.  Then build it to suit.  As for the raised bit at the door entrance you could use thicker underlay if your going for carpet,  bed up tiles or just use the metal edging to form a slight step.  

I have a 18mm step from my  carpet in our bedroom to the lino in the ensuite and it works fine. 

Only the area you need the fall for the shower? If we take the shower out for a moment, 25mm is fine to lay the tiles and be level with the ffl yes? Let's say the tiles are 7mm,the grout 8mm, and 1mm for any tanking?? Just before you dig the whole slab out!ugh matting might add a bit as there would be insulation at 5mm.

Then as per onoff, just need to work out the size of the showering area and work back words from that to chisel out the fall for the shower itself? 

57 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I've got 25mm left. Between the slab and FFL. And we want a wet room. Ain't gonna happen is it?

Well anyway thats what the man from Topps tiles said. 

Yes, yes, I know. And if you look at some of my earlier threads (2 - 3  years ago) you'll  understand why. 

Moving swiftly on, I need to dig out.  By how much?

(PS, I've got the drain hole in the right place - and for me thats a success)

If the drain hole is in the right place, and you are going to tile it, then I cannot see why it cannot work - you may need to think out of the box a little but if you were to go for a low profile slot drain, and tile up to it with a fall to the drain from each side then it should be fine.

I don't know what drain pipe is in place but assuming 40-50mm then you could get a low profile drain unit (look at units designed for use with UFH as they tend to have a smaller footprint), you may at worst need to disc cut out a 300mm square around the drain pipe so you can bed a deeper drain back into the concrete but I see no major issues here.

If it was me - I would go to my friendly fabricator and have them make me a stainless steel tray with relevant stub to push into the drain pipe and buy an off the shelf slot drain etc. or have them create a simple SS slot that I can tile up to.

People who say things like this are not possible like this are just lacking in problem solving skills or imagination. In the case of Topp's Tile's it just because he doesn't have a product that will suit your application. 

Edited by Carrerahill

2 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Only the area you need the fall for the shower? If we take the shower out for a moment, 25mm is fine to lay the tiles and be level with the ffl yes? Let's say the tiles are 7mm,the grout 8mm, and 1mm for any tanking?? Just before you dig the whole slab out!ugh matting might add a bit as there would be insulation at 5mm.

Then as per onoff, just need to work out the size of the showering area and work back words from that to chisel out the fall for the shower itself? 

Exactly correct.   

I have 25 mm to 'play with' The question becomes, how much more do I need to dig down  to create a sensible ( 2% ) fall  over the area which I expect to need to drain.

2 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

[...]

People who say things like this are not possible like this are just lacking in problem solving skills or imagination. In the case of Topp's Tile's it just because he doesn't have a product that will suit your application. 

Spot-on-John

I'll go and take a piccy and get back to you all in a few minnits.

As others have said, don’t get the kango out yet

the fall only needs to be in the shower wet area, you don’t have the whole room on a fall

look at some low level grates and work back from that. 

Worst ways you might have to chip out around the drain. 

Your title was funny, as I was playing with my new nail gun and had visions of you with a dirty big ring shank sticking out of your boot

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Haha 1

Also, if the next room is carpet with underlay?, a sloping threshold will give you another 20 or 25mm. This is what I did into our en-suite with electric UFH. We hardly notice the slope.

Edited by joe90

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

[...]

you may at worst need to disc cut out a 300mm square around the drain pipe so you can bed a deeper drain back into the concrete but I see no major issues here.

[...]

I have just gone up to look at the hole in a bit more detail. Took a photo and its vanished into thin air....

There's a 300 by 300 (by at least 100mm deep)  lump of polystyrene round a large diameter drain hole

Whats a 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

[...]

look at some low level grates and work back from that. 

[...]

Might you mean a 'plug 'ol grating thingy ? 

2A710D88-2858-4542-8DB6-E6ABC721A7EA.thumb.png.d43ad020676bd5347b14a8c50e0d6e5d.png

dig all the polystyrene out and look at the pipe, you should be able to cut it lower if you need to. 

Choose your waste fitting. Pic just as an idea. 

Drop it on pipe and grab a straight edge and a spirit level

go to tile shop and pick up half a dozen sample tiles

get a bit of hard board or something to pretend to be your tanking adhesive and membrane if you are going to use one. 

Get on your old knackered knees and have a bit of a dummy up to see what falls you can get. 

This is all dependant on your floor finish or finish in the adjacent rooms,

you may find if you put a 20mm thick timber in the bedroom then that will help you to loose any step. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

There's a 300 by 300 (by at least 100mm deep)  lump of polystyrene round a large diameter drain hole

I had put a block of polystyrene around the 110mm shower waste pipe in my wet room before the concrete was poured. It wasn't as big as 300mm square but big enough to allow a sufficient drop of around 20mm over 1.1m. I just had to chip a few mm off around the edge of the hole. After it was tanked I fitted a straight connector to the pipe and then a McAlpine shower trap.

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/wet-room-products/tiledstone-floor-gullies/tsg2t6ssc-75mm-water-seal-gully-vertical-outlet-tiled-or-stone-floors

36 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

This is what i’m Planning....only needs 13mm from slab top, so if you used a liquid tray and thin tile you should sneak in (your 300sq x100 recess also allows an increased fall within this area).