Well... outline planning permission granted!

Olly P

Yesterday we had our planning commitee Meeting and after planning officers recommendation for refusal, 21 objectors letters and  objectors speaking for 5 minutes at the meeting the councillors talked it over between them in different aspects and passed our site for one self build dwelling!! ( we applied for two but only ever wanted one). 

We are absolutely thrilled to say the very least and I don't think it's fully sinked In  yet and as the site is a greenfield site on the edge of a hamlet it was always a difficult one to please the officers.

For fellow self builders who are going through the stress of outline planning my advice is to use a proven planning consultant ( ours is fantastic), get as much support as possible from neighbours (which is difficult), peg out any boundaries before the site visit of councillors, go to the parish council meeting to answer any questions which may refuse an approval from them, send in a letter with your genuine reasons for the application-this is important as you only have 3 minutes to speak in the meeting. 

Lastly, do  your homework, study the planning process and it's policies back to front and inside out and don't give up!!! 

Now onto the designing bit  ?

20190208_110139.jpg

20190208_110040.jpg

20190208_105915.jpg

• Like 3

Fantastic news, well done! Looks like a lovely spot. Always surprises me when there are objections by planning to single houses that are clearly right next to other houses (2 can be seen in your photo) but then suddenly a developer gets permission to build an estate full of houses further outside the boundary. Has happened on many occasions IME. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Hold on to the fizz you're feeling now. Guard it safe. Cherish it. Polish it every now and then. Keep it ready for future access. 

Pub tonight then? 

Yes most definitely pub tonight with the wife to be. We literally can't believe it! Thanks all for the advice given on here.

I am a little confused by the process here.  I thought the planners had to look at the proposal and either approve it, or reject it.  They can impose conditions if they want to

So if they believed one dwelling would be suitable, I would have expected a proposal for 2 to have been rejected.  In their summary of why it was rejectedthey might make mention of the plot being suitable for one, giving you the nod to try a new planning application.

If I am understanding it, what has happened here, is you applied for 2 houses and they have said no, but you can have one.  I just don't understand how that can actually happen in practice.

Anyway congratulations.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

I am a little confused by the process here.  I thought the planners had to look at the proposal and either approve it, or reject it.  They can impose conditions if they want to

So if they believed one dwelling would be suitable, I would have expected a proposal for 2 to have been rejected.  In their summary of why it was rejectedthey might make mention of the plot being suitable for one, giving you the nod to try a new planning application.

If I am understanding it, what has happened here, is you applied for 2 houses and they have said no, but you can have one.  I just don't understand how that can actually happen in practice.

Anyway congratulations.

The application was specifically Upto two self build dwellings and it's stated that it was the LPA's decision  what would be suitable on our site : either one or two . An unusual and slightly complicated way of applying but that was all the planning consultants work. 

So, now that we've nearly got our heads around the fact that we have Outline Planning Approved (!) we are now wondering how to approach the next stage. We would love to make a start on the build next year and we think that although we don't want to rush the design/full planning stage we do want to press on incase anything changes in regards to Planning Policy , LPA planning staff etc. You never know even something like Brexit could put a spanner in the works.

We have been recommended an Architect however he works in Manchester (around 2 hour drive from us). Do you think that this is a problem and to maybe find a local architect instead?

In regards to CIL, VAT and other legal matters do I need to do anything in-between Outline Planning and Full Planning to keep everything in order and still able to claim VAT & CIL exemption?