New Build mid Devon

nickw

Hi all I will hopefully be starting my new build in the next 2-3 months. I'm not a builder but am pretty competent with most manual stuff and always happy to learn new trades even as a novice.

I read a lot of the posts on here and all have been useful in some way or another and have helped answer the never ending questions that seem to crop up. 

The build is going to be ICF in some form, at the moment it's looking like durisol but isotex and velox are in the equation as well. The build is a 180 sqm based on a barn that was in place approx 22m x 8.5m. Full planning just given on the previous q class it had so will take down the steel framed barn completely and start afresh. I've put in for the free planning on changing the size back to the original size of 26m x 9m as had to make it smaller on the planning app the mortgage costings.

Trying to keep is simple and as easy as possible, cos god knows I'm going to need it simple as I have to do most of the work it seems. Looking forward to getting some feedback and help on here.

1551 - 06 - new Prop Elv.pdf

welcome to the forum 

not much glass in south  side --you worried about too much solar gain ?

solar gain is free heating .

pity your in devon or i would make you an offer for old steel framing --need some for workshop

Edited by scottishjohn

Hmmm thats a story in itself, the glass in place is better than the awful Q class planning it had, old plan had windows small and thin horizontally and above head height , to placate the whinging neighbours , who are not even very close, with the full planning I at least got bigger windows and decent height. Would love more solar gain but I have to work with what I could get. 

The  old barn will be going to the farmer selling the land, he takes it all down and keeps it I get extra land cos again due to neighbours I have to put in a 90 metre driveway, that parallels the access track/road. Overall a win win as it would have cost me 2k to take the old barn down.

38 minutes ago, nickw said:

Hmmm thats a story in itself, the glass in place is better than the awful Q class planning it had, old plan had windows small and thin horizontally and above head height , to placate the whinging neighbours , who are not even very close, with the full planning I at least got bigger windows and decent height. Would love more solar gain but I have to work with what I could get. 

The  old barn will be going to the farmer selling the land, he takes it all down and keeps it I get extra land cos again due to neighbours I have to put in a 90 metre driveway, that parallels the access track/road. Overall a win win as it would have cost me 2k to take the old barn down.

well you won,t get overheating  as alot complain bout with big windows

Nice location and good plot size. I can see what you mean about the old windows (i was being nosy as i am in the Devon area, and came across the old plot sale particulars), glad you were able to get those windows changed, especially for the views in that area!

Edited by Moonshine

Hi Nickw . I'm also a Mid Devoner and building a class Q so good luck and feel free to ask for advice or contacts. I may be able to help as we are builders and developers down here  and my wife is house designer, 3d render, interior buyer etc.  A great wealth of knowledge and experience on this site from people who really care and have passion for what they are building/have built.