Spacing between gutter brackets

vivienz

One thing we got wrong was the gutters, that I need to get around to replacing this spring.  Our roof pitch is 45° and the combination of that and a large area of in-roof PV panels means that heavy rain seems to come off the roof in torrents, which then overwhelms the standard half round gutters and spills over the edges.  I plan to replace the standard gutters with the deeper/wider high flow rate one, just to stop them from spilling over in heavy rain. 

30 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

One thing we got wrong was the gutters, that I need to get around to replacing this spring.  Our roof pitch is 45° and the combination of that and a large area of in-roof PV panels means that heavy rain seems to come off the roof in torrents, which then overwhelms the standard half round gutters and spills over the edges.  I plan to replace the standard gutters with the deeper/wider high flow rate one, just to stop them from spilling over in heavy rain. 

Yes I was working on two selfbuilds for friends 

and they were having the same issues with summer storms 

I’ve used a deeper cutter Only slightly more exspensive But seems to be ok 

35 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

just a thought but I have seen same problem when gutter is fitted to tight to end of slates and a bit low  ,so when water comes off roof in downpour it nearly shoots over the outer edge .

some roofs  are built with a different shallower  angle for last  couple  of slates  or even just the last slate  to slow it down the water  for that reason .

there is a name for it ,but i can,t remember it at this time .old age 

I think we need to change our thoughts on rain, I think we will be getting more heavy rain, unlike the drizzle normally associated with England. 

A thing to look out for is how many outlets, normally never enough and the gutters start to struggle 

i think the norm used to be one outlet every 6m. 

Going back to bracket spacing I always go 600mm, I hate saggy guttering, causes all sorts of problems and looks rubbish, brackets are cheap. I also hate guttering that creaks in the sun when warming up, then creaks when it clouds over, I always shave a little off the back of the guttering where it goes into a bracket so its not too tight and can move to take up expansion.?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

... I always shave a little off the back of the guttering where it goes into a bracket so its not too tight and can move to take up expansion.

Has this worked? In the past I was not sure if the creaking was from the fascia board.

23 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Has this worked? In the past I was not sure if the creaking was from the fascia board.

Oh yes, particularly black guttering that heats up in the sun, most gutters are tight in the brackets and the creaking is the guttering expanding and “clicking”as it tries to slide through the bracket. 

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

Going back to bracket spacing I always go 600mm, I hate saggy guttering, causes all sorts of problems and looks rubbish, brackets are cheap. I also hate guttering that creaks in the sun when warming up, then creaks when it clouds over, I always shave a little off the back of the guttering where it goes into a bracket so its not too tight and can move to take up expansion.?

Anyone used the black guttering with white internal to help with the problem of expansion?

13 hours ago, Vijay said:

Anyone used the black guttering with white internal to help with the problem of expansion?

Yeh I fitted some 2 weeks ago on garage. I thought it was a cheap foil on outside but the bloke explained this was the reason. Never had a problem with gutter expanding so can't see the point. 

19 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I think we need to change our thoughts on rain, I think we will be getting more heavy rain, unlike the drizzle normally associated with England. 

A thing to look out for is how many outlets, normally never enough and the gutters start to struggle 

i think the norm used to be one outlet every 6m. 

which on most builds will mean a down pipe at each corner of the building with be fine,maybe an extra one in the middle 

someone will have a roof area calculator /gutter size   spread sheet.

If they have would a handy post  as a "sticky"