Brands/types of waste pipes

vivienz

I should be getting my perimeter land drains and foul water drains put in soon.  My groundworks guy has, to date, supplied labour only with my purchasing any materials.  He is putting a price together for the drainage and seems keen to include a particular brand of pipes in his quote (Hepworth, as I recall).

Does anyone have any particular view on this?  I would prefer to buy the materials myself as he isn't VAT registered and I would be able to reclaim on the materials.

Thanks.

Hepworth are a good manufacturer, also Terrain, Polypipe and Flo-plast. Much of a muchness tbh though.

Longevity of the fittings is generated by correct installation and ensuring the pipes / fittings are buried or supported accordingly. Standards exist for this so its relatively safe to proceed with any of the above.

Just ask bonzo for a materials list and buy the stuff yourself. Simples. ( unless he's willing to give you the VAT equivalent as a discount on his labour ;) ).

If you have any solvent weld stuff to do I'd get the same brand if you can. I've had some grief mixing and matching with too tight/loose. Not insurmountable but certainly avoidable. 

On the push fit stuff a can of silicone spray is a must and a chamfer tool v.useful.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Onoff said:

On the push fit stuff a can of silicone spray is a must and a chamfer tool v.useful.

I wish I'd had a chamfer tool nine years ago when doing all my soil pipes. To cut mine square I wrapped a sheet of A3 paper around the pipe, lining up the edges, and taped it on. I cut them by hand and then used a rasp to chamfer the ends. I used a smear of silicone grease on the chamfer when pushing it home.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I wish I'd had a chamfer tool nine years ago when doing all my soil pipes. To cut mine square I wrapped a sheet of A3 paper around the pipe, lining up the edges, and taped it on. I cut them by hand and then used a rasp to chamfer the ends. I used a smear of silicone grease on the chamfer when pushing it home.

Cordless angle grinder is my weapon of choice tbh with a flap disc. You have to be confident with it though and I appreciate they scare a lot of people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

If you have any solvent weld stuff to do I'd get the same brand if you can. I've had some grief mixing and matching with too tight/loose. Not insurmountable but certainly avoidable. 

Never use solvent weld underground. 

With heave etc you need the flexibility of the rubber seals in the fittings. ;)  

A solvent weld underground probably wouldn’t live through the backfilling of the trench. ?

20 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Never use solvent weld underground. 

With heave etc you need the flexibility of the rubber seals in the fittings. ;)  

A solvent weld underground probably wouldn’t live through the backfilling of the trench. ?

I didn't mean underground but fair heads up. Meant say where pipes come up out of the slab etc.