Garage Door Piers Cold Bridging

wozza

Hi All,

On my extension plans the wall for my garage is showing an open cavity (Brick and Block wall) in the opening for the garage door.

I presume that this would normally be finished with a cavity closer and then the door fitted in the opening.

However I may want to fit the door behind the opening to allow for extra headroom (Insulated Roller Door)

Is it possible to close the cavity if I fit the door behind the opening without creating a cold bridge?

Thanks, Wozza.

Edited by wozza

3 minutes ago, wozza said:

Is it possible to close the cavity if I fit the door behind the opening without creating a cold bridge?

If it's an open cavity, without any insulation, is cold bridging even an issue?

ps. If I were building a new garage I'd insulate the hell out of it. My 1970s garage if freezing in winter and not a nice place to work when it's cold.

Edited by Triassic

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

If it's an open cavity, without any insulation, is cold bridging even an issue?

ps. If I were building a new garage I'd insulate the hell out of it. My 1970s garage if freezing in winter and not a nice place to work when it's cold.

When I say open cavity, I mean that it is intended to be closed with a cavity closer that would normally be hidden by the door frame.

But if I fit the door behind the opening then the cavity closer will be seen / exposed to the elements.