Brick & block to roof junction - construction workflow.

I am trying to picture the sequence of events as a roof is constructed on top of masonry walls.

I understand that in structural terms the roof rafters sit on the inner block wall once a wooded wall plate 100mm x 50mm has been fixed in place.

My question relates to the outer brick skin. Would brickies build this up to finished height before the roof is added by calculating the drop of the rafters for the roof gradient or is the brick wall bought up to the after height once the roof is in place?

For a 100/100/100 cavity wall and a 30 degree roof pitch my calcs show the outer wall is 115mm lower + an allowance for a birds tooth cut out if applicable.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

When you get to wall plate height you will need to work out the ridge height from your plans or you get your truss manufacturer to come out measure up and they will give you a height. 

The brickies will then put up a bit of lath nailed to the blocks below and a string line to form a rough guide of the peaks.  They will then be able to see if they need to add maybe a course of brick to the outside of needed.

For the peaks they then build to this line but don't do most of the cuts.  You can get them to do the cuts but if they are to high you have to cut it down or too low cut bits out and redo. 

When your roof is on they come back and fill in the missing bits.  

12 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

The brickies will then put up a bit of lath nailed to the blocks below and a string line to form a rough guide of the peaks.  They will then be able to see if they need to add maybe a course of brick to the outside of needed.

I forgot to mention this is for a hipped roof. The finished height of the outer brick skin I am thinking about is the final 1 1/2 courses tucked behind the gutter.

Then you will need to get a roofing square and cut a 3ft bit of timber to suit your pitch.  You will then be able to see where a plumb line from the outerskin meets the  timber. That's your height. 

Or you leave it down and let the roofers do there bit and get the  brickie back to put on what ever is needed before you  felt and lath  it. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Or you leave it down and let the roofers do there bit and get the  brickie back to put on what ever is needed before you  felt and lath  it. 

In the absence of any guidance this is what I would do, I assume the outer brick skin does not support the rafter overhang so the priority with this finishing detail is to just keep things weather proof and incorporate some form of cavity cap to ensure the blown beads do not scatter in all directions later in the build.

I will be doing the garage first which incorporates an 8' x 16' room so this portion will be finished like the main house.

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

What is providing the kick to the last row of tiles if it’s not the fascia board...?

Not sure, I will go for a walk around the village and see what the locals do. Maybe I am confused by the local look where the roof gutter detail is devoid of a chunky what box section, it is possible there is a minimal fascia that leaves the lower portion of rafters exposed.

I aspire to something like this for the garage...

Coker110542b.jpg