Alternative to plastering a ceiling???

Dub Thing

Hi 

Im just starting a garage build 8 meters by 6 meters and the cost of boarding and plastering the ceiling is a fair bit of money. I will be installing kingspan into the voids between the joists and had thought to board and plaster but hope someone has a suggestion for a ceiling that I can install myself without having to plaster it. Any ideas that wont look as bad as plasterboard with the edges full of filler. Sensible and way out suggestions are welcome and will be taken with a pinch of salt.

Plywood painted for fireproofing? Also how deep are your joists, if money is tight you might find alternatives to Kingspan a fair bit cheaper if you've got the depth to meet regs. Frametherm, Rockwool etc, all much cheaper but need more depth. 

Plasterboard is pretty cheap

If you have an able helper and take your time 

Years back we used to tape the joints Give the whole cieling a coat of board finish and do a figure eight with a pasting brush 

Looked of 

Now we tape and sand the joints and screw heads 

2 hours ago, Dub Thing said:

Hi 

Im just starting a garage build 8 meters by 6 meters and the cost of boarding and plastering the ceiling is a fair bit of money. I will be installing kingspan into the voids between the joists and had thought to board and plaster but hope someone has a suggestion for a ceiling that I can install myself without having to plaster it. Any ideas that wont look as bad as plasterboard with the edges full of filler. Sensible and way out suggestions are welcome and will be taken with a pinch of salt.

insulation,vcl  then osb +paint? ,or leave it "aux natural"

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

And more expensive than plasterboard. 

some people like the look --at least 2 grand designs have had it as wall cladding .

and simple

go back and see what he said he wanted  and it a  garage when all said and done

-don,t matter what you or i think 

Edited by scottishjohn

6 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

some people like the look --at least 2 grand designs have had it as wall cladding .

and simple

go back and see what he said he wanted  and it a  garage when all said and done

-don,t matter what you or i think 

Said he wanted it cheap.  Plasterboard cheaper than Osb.  I never mentioned the look.  Wouldn't be my choice but it's not my ceiling. 

On 04/02/2019 at 22:31, Declan52 said:

Said he wanted it cheap.  Plasterboard cheaper than Osb.  I never mentioned the look.  Wouldn't be my choice but it's not my ceiling. 

The plasterboard isn't so expensive its the cost to have someone plaster properly. filling the edges and painting will just annoy me each time i look at it.

On 04/02/2019 at 21:00, Declan52 said:

And more expensive than plasterboard. 

my guess is his trusses will be too far apart for plasterboard ,and he won,t want to strap it at right spacing,  judging how he wants to do it cheap, and its a shed anyway 

so OSB will take bigger spans  than plasterboard  without sagging in a couple of years time.

• 1 month later...

you could use mdf and take a chamfer off all the edges giving a "v" at the joint, its a nice easy thing to do and looks ok if you plan out the joints carefully. I can remember doing this in a local powerstation because the old plasterboard walls and celing were cracking because of the massive amount of vibrations, we went back a few months later to do other work and someone had filled all the joints, most of the filler had cracked and fallen out 

I’m not lookin to be cheap as the roof is costing loads to be strong enough to support a sedum roof so lots of steel and joists to make it strong enough. I am looking at the bits that I may be able to do that i can save some money to spend elsewhere on the project. I fit were to live in it would be opening skylights but as its only for the cars I’m going for cheaper ebay ones so the money saved can be spent on a resin floor. It’s the same with the ceiling, I’m fine screwing things to the joists but plastering a ceiling is beyond my physical ability so its the labour thats the big cost. I have looked at various sheet materials but haven’t found anything so looks like board and plaster it will be.  The idea of champhered edge board could be a good option similar to some good looking ply internal cladding I have seen on some builds.

As for artex, I will take that with a pinch of salt. That stuf is a magnet for dust and would look like it hasn’t been cleaned since the seventies after about a week.

Edited by Dub Thing

It’s going to be concret block that i have accepted as a finish that with metal switches and conduit I can make an industrial look rather than a clean smart look.

With a few additions below once the bank balance has recovered...

C6E62C36-DCF1-49F1-A644-D487E785DF01.jpeg

DC88AE99-AB56-4DDE-BC59-7FFC28CBD583.jpeg

61A8E7A9-243B-41FB-B358-F8D19A935A73.jpeg