Roofing membrane

Russell griffiths

So the snow turned up, and being a soft southern sod I needed to find something to do that didn’t involve going outside. AD2305FE-7F3D-469C-AE25-3FE9C473A466.thumb.jpeg.b32356b16666e3d2a3c5bdc6da9f8d8c.jpeg

So 72 hours later there’s not a drop of water passed through either of these roof membranes. 

How else do I decide which one to use, both from the same manufacturer, difference in price between the two is roughly £300. 

Its not just @JSHarris who’s the scientist, can I have an OLOGY. 

• Haha 1

Just now, recoveringacademic said:

Look at your cost-to-completion spreadsheet.

Put both numbers in. Decide whether the cost difference makes any material (sorry) difference.

Put them where, spread sheet ?????????

oh how I laughed, I’m a silly navvy not a mathematician 

membrane picked by trying to tear it apart, poking my finger through it, and how many free t shirts and knives the rep gave me. 

• Like 1

Jet the hose at each of them, I did a lot of our walls with TF200 only to realise if the rain was driving it went right through but held water like your test no problem. I contacted the manufacturer who tested a swatch and confirmed it was as it should be and fit for purpose. I disagreed and replaced the lot with  a W1 class roofing membrane from Cromar which doesn't let a drop in.  Appreciate your membranes are roofing class but might be worth posting for others. 

• Like 1

It was Cromar vent 3 classic. 

https://cromarbuildingproducts.com/products/vent3-classic/

I used the Vent 3 pro

https://cromarbuildingproducts.com/products/vent3-pro/

on the roof after a recommendation on here and was really impressed with it. Roofs require a W1 class membrane which is basically how much water is allowed through. The TF200 I used was a W2 product which passes building regs on walls but as explained in driving rain water was getting through which I didn't like and which could be replicated with a surprisingly low jet from a hose. I appreciate that once cladding etc is on the walls won't have anywhere like the same exposure as they do during the build but I didn't like seeing droplets form on the inside where I had window openings and wet OSB behind! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bissoejosh said:

Jet the hose at each of them, I did a lot of our walls with TF200 only to realise if the rain was driving it went right through but held water like your test no problem. I contacted the manufacturer who tested a swatch and confirmed it was as it should be and fit for purpose. I disagreed and replaced the lot with  a W1 class roofing membrane from Cromar which doesn't let a drop in.  Appreciate your membranes are roofing class but might be worth posting for others. 

JET HOSE !! that would be equivalent to a class 7 hurricane or worse --suspect you blew holes in or surface was badly rubbed

what was over the top of this membrane ?

left open to UV for too long before it was clad?  not meant to be subjected to direct sunlight  or it degrades

if atmospheric pressure is 14,7 psi --then even 2 bar from garden hose is higher pressure than you will ever see 

a jet wash will be 10-15 bar -- or at the bottom of sea 100 metres down 

so hardly a fair test 

Edited by scottishjohn

Jet the hose - not Jet Hose. As in sprinkle the garden hose with a small amount of pressure, all I said was it was surprising how little pressure was needed.

I used a Garden hose to test after witnessing driving rain penetrating the membrane.

Edited by bissoejosh