Remote Diagnosis

Onoff

One of the kid's friend's CH/DHW has packed up. Single mum etc.

Traditional pumped system, gas boiler, copper cylinder, 3-way valve. She's getting HW but only the 1st rad is getting warm and the second a bit warm. She reckons it sounds like there's a "nut" loose in what I assume is the air separator. Not sure on the valve make but the actuator is apparently easily removeable as in clip on/off:

Existing pump. Assume the air separator above?

IMG-20190202-WA0004.thumb.jpg.9d9950b12b76356a978d08e8dab0cf16.jpg

IMG-20190202-WA0006.thumb.jpg.44c15ececfc3133df99c894724d5a967.jpg

The existing mid position valve:

IMG-20190202-WA0003.thumb.jpg.70fd0003c647ab59038bd2597305dd17.jpg

I have this Drayton one in the spares box. It's actuator clips on/off too. Would it be interchangeable?

20190202_200227.thumb.jpg.0edc4f477aba191a5b81a4eb77117607.jpg

Cheers

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Start by removing the existing actuator and checking the mechanical part of the valve is free to rotate.

They don't move a lot do they? Just had a look at this (new) Drayton one.

14 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes but check it is free to move not stiff.  If it is stiff some oil and exercise it with pliers will often free it off.  I think these ones only go a quarter turn.

Yep told her that. I reckon this Drayton one moves about 10-15deg either way if that.

She's just Whatsapp'd me a minute ago and said she's whipped the actuator off and the spindle moves.

Seems this Drayton one is a direct replacement for the BG one from what I've read. Actuators are interchangeable too it seems.

Edited by Onoff

Gave her the new Drayton mid-port valve, she wanted to try and fit it herself. Fair play.

Just messaged me. Reckons the bleed valve on the pump is leaking - she did undo it. 

She's just sent me this video. Sounds to me the system is running dry - but the pump bleed valve leaks? Suggest she checks the header tank ball cock?

VID-20190203-WA0001

Pump has stopped leaking.

She's been in the loft. Both header and cws tanks full and ball cocks working. Reckons loft is soaking wet with the smaller header tank "steaming". "Like a Turkish bath up there" she says. (It's a prefab, concrete ceilings so will take a while to come through if ever).

Thinking pump gone u/s?

50 minutes ago, Temp said:

Is the header tank full of hot water? 

Seemingly so, yes. Overflowing out the side of the house to now and then.

Getting her to check if the 3-port is the right way around. Seems her ex has had a go.

She keeps buggering about putting the acuator on either way. Seemingly it will but will only engage on the two lugs one way. Told her to put it on properly and diagnose from there. 

On the valve, port B is to the cylinder coil, port A to the rads which is correct. 

IMG-20190203-WA0006.thumb.jpg.32c7ff897222f6a82b908a26d682815d.jpg

Reckons it's hot where red but cool where blue:

IMG-20190203-WA0008.thumb.jpg.3136eef6e6e44710e6c8b7acad3a4116.jpg

9 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I would take the head off, turn the spindle fully one way, try it.  Then turn the spindle fully the other way and try it.  If neither results in hot radiators the problem is something else like a blockage.

She reckons it turns OK with the actuator off. 

Just messaged me that whatever she's done she now had no hot water either. I can see me going over there.

Then another message she now has hot water back. I asked how:

"I open a tap at the side, which I wonder if "the ex" closed slightly as it gurgled and then worked... still not firing heating but at least the water is coming out more than a trickle..."

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Ah, boiler not firing. That's another missing bit of info.

It WAS firing I believe prior to her changing the actuator earlier today. 

I did offer to go over earlier.

I asked if it had been firing prior to today's efforts:

"It was worse after today, but I also released the valve pump and let some air out as well... it’s still not coming out fast, but it is running at least"

"Bloody thing kicked in at 5am and sounded like I had builders in, nearly gave me a heart attack, had to switch it off so it didn’t wake the kids! I had a rant at (the ex), he has finally said book a plumber! "

Trying to get her to at least try and bleed the rads before calling the plumber!

On 03/02/2019 at 18:08, Onoff said:

Seemingly so, yes. Overflowing out the side of the house to now and then.

If it's overflowing then new water must be getting in somehow. Check the ballcock valve in the header tank first but if not that then it could possibly be a leak in the hot water tank (eg in the coil).

6 minutes ago, Temp said:

If it's overflowing then new water must be getting in somehow. Check the ballcock valve in the header tank first but if not that then it could possibly be a leak in the hot water tank (eg in the coil).

It's overflowing HOT from the header.

Latest message:

"*** has finally agreed to pay for a plumber as it’s beyond me to fix it... I’m admitting defeat. Do you fancy doing it for some money? If not I’ll book a plumber in, didn’t know if you fancied some extra cash x"

Tbh cash job aren't my thing. I'd have rather had a look FOC before now.

Have to let her down gently.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, ProDave said:

it's not an old Fortic tank is it?

You mean the hw cylinder? Just the green insulated thing above.

Edit: I see what you mean I'll ask. 

Edited by Onoff