BT router hacked ?

Ok !

Had all these issues with the 2 UniFi AP u it’s so removed them .

Today my up cameras don’t work as though the dns isn’t working .

I go to the property login to the port forwarding page . Everything seems fine ; but 3 extra port forwarding rules have been added !!!!

No one knows the router password though - and it’s none of the tenants.

So how was it done ?

Whilst fiddling with the AP units for days I factory reset them many times . It’s not possible from their default password to access the router somehow is it ?

For now I’ve left the router as is - take my Mac there Monday when hopefully I have more understanding of how this was done.

Any help appreciated 

cheers 

56 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Could a tenant's computer have, quite reasonably, added a port forward via UPnP?

But they would need the router admin password - which of course isn’t the default .

Also one of the port forwarding entries was for WhatsApp . Why add that when you access the WiFi anyway ?

Another was labelled as ‘xbox’ - no one in house has an Xbox .

Thing is I was in and out the port forwarding pages everyday whilst fiddling with cameras. Only went in today because they aren’t working .

Does anyone know if it’s possible to login to a router remotely? 

E.g <global ip>192.168.1.254 / admin/ <password>

So I can at least look at the hubs settings remotely...

Edited by pocster

19 minutes ago, pocster said:

But they would need the router admin password - which of course isn’t the default

Not as I understand UPnP. I'm a bit vague about it but my understanding is the point of it is to allow applications on computers, phones, etc, to open ports for access from outside. I wouldn't be at all surprised if WhatsApp uses it if it's available.

25 minutes ago, pocster said:

Another was labelled as ‘xbox’ - no one in house has an Xbox .

Yep, that's a bit more concerning.

26 minutes ago, pocster said:

Does anyone know if it’s possible to login to a router remotely?

Usually there's a setting in the router configuration to enable/disable this. I have a vague memory of some routers not being very good in that they allowed remote logins even when they were supposedly disabled.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

Not as I understand UPnP. I'm a bit vague about it but my understanding is the point of it is to allow applications on computers, phones, etc, to open ports for access from outside. I wouldn't be at all surprised if WhatsApp uses it if it's available.

Yep, that's a bit more concerning.

Usually there's a setting in the router configuration to enable/disable this. I have a vague memory of some routers not being very good in that they allowed remote logins even when they were supposedly disabled.

Yeah I'm not totally up with this.

Need to do some more googling!

It appears that the router can add it's own port forwarding rules for such things as WhatsApp.

So it's possible there is no unauthorised access. Be real nice though if the router firmware actually said "I ADDED THESE'!

https://www.homenethowto.com/ports-and-nat/upnp-automatic-port-forward/

Edited by pocster

Just now, Onoff said:

Admin password. Go figure.

Do you mean your router has the default username and password for login? - this is NOT the same as the Wifi password! 2 different things!

Once you do have the admin login some routers allow schedules so you can block your son's mac address (mac is a unique code for a device ). Perhaps enable it when he's been good!. You will be in control. CONTROL = POWER!

Just now, pocster said:

Do you mean your router has the default username and password for login? - this is NOT the same as the Wifi password! 2 different things!

Once you do have the admin login some routers allow schedules so you can block your son's mac address (mac is a unique code for a device ). Perhaps enable it when he's been good!. You will be in control. CONTROL = POWER!

I'll ask him when he's back from uni. It's black magic to me.

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

No ! Don’t ask him - he will know you are onto him !!!

FFS he's doing a computer science degree living and breathing the stuff with like minded nerds. Hacking is part of the course. He'll just hack the neighbour's wi-fi.