Underlay for engineered wood flooring

MJNewton

Does anyone have any knowledge/experience of underlay for floating engineered wood flooring on a concrete base?

From some cursory reading it seems that there are varying thicknesses, tog ratings, sound insulation etc and of course price. My initial thoughts are that a decent thickness and tog rating could be beneficial on a ground floor, however I wondered if this would lead to sponginess/springiness underfoot? Perhaps it's a good thing having some 'give' and it may make it a bit quieter to walk on? Speaking of sound, I am assuming the 'sound deadening' underlays are more to minimise transmission of noise *through* the underlay (to rooms below) and not for reducing floor-related noise within the room itself?

We haven't picked the flooring yet (some way off that to be honest) however I was expecting it to be around 15-18mm.

To be honest I'm not sure what drove my down the floating road... I think I may have been thinking it might be beneficial should I ever need to re-lay some of it (e.g. due to damage)?

Noise it arguably a more day-to-day issue though and so perhaps I should re-think that.

Edited by MJNewton

I had a similar experience of a noisy floating floor, so in this house I bonded our bamboo flooring down.  Makes for a really solid floor, with no noises at all.  The only downside is the cost of the adhesive.  I used Sikabond 95 and it was around £80 a tub.

Okay, glue-down it is!

Would an underlay still be required (noting this will be engineered wood if it makes any difference)? I thought perhaps the adhesive does away with the need for an underlay but I see that specific-for-glue underlays are available.

Edited by MJNewton

15 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Okay, glue-down it is!

Would an underlay still be required (noting this will be engineered wood if it makes any difference)? I thought perhaps the adhesive does away with the need for an underlay but I see that specific-for-glue underlays are available.

I am a fan of floating, but I put my services underneath the floating round the edges of the room.

For floating floor I draw 2 lessons

1 Do not skimp on underlay, and think about your required bounciness,

2 The only floor known to me that will relay is Quick Step uniclic.

Others may agree or not. 

I have done several of these floor, but they were all laminate. And they murder saw blades.

Ferdinand

10 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Okay, glue-down it is!

No underlay should be used if bonding flooring down, unless you opt to use the Sika system that uses a membrane with large holes in for the adhesive, with that adhesive being applied with a gun. 

The Sikabond I used is a modified silicone polymer, that cures to a fairly soft rubber-like consistency, not that different to an underlay.  The stuff will take up a certain amount of unevenness in the floor.

Stick down is more expensive and time consuming, but a much more solid feel. If you DIY, do three rows at a time, loose lay first with everything cut to size, mark the area and remove the boards. Apply adhesive to the marked area and lay the boards into it. Keep everything clean.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Keep everything clean

Really good tip! The OH didn't even notice that some of the glue had made its way on top 9_9. By the time I got home and noticed it had dried. Cue MANY hours of me trying to get rid of it after the event!