Retaining wall

Hi guys,

I need to create a retaining wall in front of our new annexe. The garden is on a slight slope. Once this is done we're looking at creating a decking area or slab/patio area depending on cost. 

I'm no builder but don't mind getting my hands mucky. Can anyone give me some simple advice or guidelines on how to achieve this simply please?

Cheers

P.S. Path in the photo is just a temporary one to gain access. 

IMG_2037.jpg

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

IMG_2040.jpg

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

WHat material do you want to retain, and what is your height required i.e. Max depth of retained material?

F

I need to retain the mud/soil. Eventually we need to create some kind of patio/veranda/decking in front of the annexe. 

21 minutes ago, ultramods said:

Seems like a good and simple idea. Is it just dig, bury them down and just slot the boards in? ??

10 minutes ago, Temp said:

In a rush but see the Paving Expert web site...

http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur04.htm

I don't think all gravel boards are strong enough to be used as a retaining wall.

Cheers. Useful site that. I think maybe one, or max two concrete gravel boards would do it. But I do like the look of battered dry walls or the gabions. I guess it doesn't really matter too much as the patio/path will be over the top. 

1 minute ago, Declan52 said:

You could use anything simple like a railway sleeper to a dwarf kerb.  

There are other fancy/expensive  ideas like a dry stone walling which doesn't require concrete founds,  a well  wacked bed of stone is all they need. 

True. Also as stated previously, it's going to be covered to cheapest and easiest is essential. 

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

For a cheap, easy and quick to install small retaining wall it's hard to beat stone-filled gabions.  If the wall isn't going to be seen then the baskets can just be filled with rubble.

Yep, I'm beginning to lean towards that idea. There's some great things people are doing with them architecturally too. Just lost an hour in Pinterest ?

FOr 1m or less gabions sound a good solution if you have the filling and the width available.

There may cheaper ways to do it, or the lower parts of it, but it looks to be a shortish wall, so I would say get what you like.

There are various options around the site, including iirc some interlocking systems, if you dig.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

Cheers guys, once again this site has proved invaluable. ??

On another note, does anyone have any advice on creating a slate/slab path that will join a wide path/patio that'll sit in front of the annexe pictured above? I'm no builder but happy to get involved as long as I know what I'm doing. 

For any path to last and keep its shape you will need at least 250mm of well compacted stone, type 1 is good, and some sort of edging to stop it bursting out.  If you don't get the base right then the top will sink and your path will be full of dips. 

If you are going for a slab or paving bricks then you will need sharp sand as you bedding layer. 

If using concrete panels then maybe you have a farmer who has some sillage pit panels +posts he don,t use anymore?

If BC wants details you are buggered cos he will want to see a SC approved drawing,showing drainage system .so you don,t end up making a slurry dam .

you certainbly should have some drianage/weepage  at bottom of wall