Fitting A Wall Hung WC

Onoff

So my mate started with this intending to fit a Geberit wall frame (excuse the repeat pictures):

IMG-20190528-WA0010.jpg

As aforementioned I went to the trouble of mocking something up at home with a spare frame:

47975044993_b470045526_b.jpg&key=68728bf

With the soil in line with the frame it all works:

20190531_220320

He was moaning he always burns his leg on the rad when sitting on the wc (see first pic above) so moving the wc left alleviates that and it all works.

He's sent me pics today. Moaning that he can't for love nor money get a soil adaptor to fit to go from the Geberit to wall soil connections. I explained he needs to move the wc further left:

IMG-20191112-WA0001

IMG-20191112-WA0003

I explained he needs to move the wc further left to which he says "I can't becasuse I want a 500 wide sink and the door will hit it!"

Told him to move the Geberit frame left a bit more and rehang the door which he hadn't thought of. No doubt there's a Geberit "straight" pipe available instead of the black right angled one but whatever's quickest at this point!

EDIT: Guessing maybe this is the sort of thing that could replace the black elbow that comes with the frame:

https://superbath.co.uk/5671/geberit-straight-connector-set-for-wall-hung-toilet-excentered-by-5-cm?number=ISI150104&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6PTMwqjk5QIV1OJ3Ch0zMgJIEAkYCSABEgIdvPD_BwE

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

Tonight George had another go at positioning the wc relative to the existing soil. Ignoring my suggestion above, having the soil level with the frame he moved it even further left! 

IMG-20191112-WA0008

IMG-20191112-WA0010

I'm now going to give him the cut down Geberit black elbow, Geberit adaptor and Floplast elbow that I mocked up for him when trying to advise him remotely. @Nickfromwales, does this below meet with your approval? Also is it OK to cut the grey soil sticking out of the wall flush?

20190531_220320

47975044993_b470045526_b.jpg&key=68728bf

A couple of things concern me; first he's a rather big, lad circa 21 stone so he'd best be fixing this properly! Second the Floplast fitting has the ribbed rubber flanges that push inside the 110mm pipe.

Cheers 

7 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hey-up 'lad.

Just realised this is only mocked up atm. Ditch that for two 45's and a straight, short flexi. 

Thanks. I should add that his set up is more like in the photo below where the white line is the wall with the stub of the existing waste projecting:

47975050957_104c915cdb_c.thumb.jpg.72ec0ed5497254729e185ad02733473f.jpg

He's a bit of an, "everything's against me / I've had a Hell of a time / I've had to buy more bits" panicker tbh.

I'm about to give him these bits as they're already cut and ready to go. OK to go with this rather than x2 45s?

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing my mate's wall hung wc adventures!

He bought a no name, rimless wc. Allegedly made in the UK. I'm sure there is a name on it or the box but he says not just that it comes from "the Old Kent Road". I reckon that's just the seller/importer.

He said he tried to fit the first wc pan but that the hole centres are closer than the 180mm on the Geberit frame:

IMG-20191128-WA0000.thumb.jpg.39816e44da784f2323522b92d7f8a476.jpg

To me it looks like the pan could move slightly left but he reckons the studs are on the pi$$. Bottom line is he rang the company who said they've never had an issue or one come back but they've sent him an exchange unit out. Will find out today where he is with it. (Can't see that they won't all have been made on the same tooling). He made the mistake of sending the plastic inserts back with the "faulty" pan and had to get the supplier to send some more. They apparently asked if he had bought one of the frames to which he replied "the lady on the phone who I ordered it from, assured me it would fit the (Geberit) frame". All verbal  nothing in writing etc but he won't see the dangers of that! I wish to Christ he'd bought the wc (Bernstein) I suggested for the extra money. He also said this one is a pain to fit. Little holes in the side for an allen key I think.

Anyone else come across the hole centres being too narrow?

Cheers

He got his new wc. It fits better than the first so it must have been a moulding issue.

IMG-20191128-WA0004.thumb.jpg.78f9619284570ca20eb420accc673552.jpg

I do hope this doesn't end in tears for him. I can't for a start believe his pan's fixings are better than the flat washer and nut that come with the Geberit! Seems the "bullet" screws onto the Geberit studs then the allen screw goes in from the side or something:

20191128_194258.jpg.9784623f7cb9a62ffe8842560d78f166.jpg

Looking at the 1st picture above I don't  like the way he has the uprights orientated. Then he has no stud either side of the Geberit frame.

IMG-20191128-WA0005.thumb.jpg.0808885d3a9fc57a810cde1d85f8237f.jpg

IMG-20191128-WA0006.thumb.jpg.c2e56821c9dc0b9e67aa3b93fb61fac2.jpg

Edited by Onoff

I recently did a mini survey of the dimensions of wall hung pans as I have one to do. The 180mm dimension between bolts was common to the 8 pans I looked at. However other dimensions varied. In some cases this could be rectified by raising or lowering the whole pan 10mm but not always. In 2 out 8 the vertical spacing between pipes and bolts was different to the geberit frame. Eg the 8mm bolts were higher or lower in relation to the two pipes.

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Looking at the 1st picture above I don't  like the way he has the uprights orientated. Then he has no stud either side of the Geberit frame.

+1

There is a lot of force when someone dumps themselves down on the edge of the loo seat after a night on the town. The top of the frame tends to move away from the wall and the bottom towards it. How well is his timber frame fixed to the floor/wall?

Is that Wedi foam board? I like Wedi board but I wouldn't use it for this. The back of the pan i have isn't dead flat and i think this could cause forces to be concentrated at a few points. I'm concerned tiles might crack or be pushed into the wedi. I'm going to use Hardibacker behind the one I'm doing.

Edited by Temp

4 hours ago, Temp said:

I recently did a mini survey of the dimensions of wall hung pans as I have one to do. The 180mm dimension between bolts was common to the 8 pans I looked at. However other dimensions varied. In some cases this could be rectified by raising or lowering the whole pan 10mm but not always. In 2 out 8 the vertical spacing between pipes and bolts was different to the geberit frame. Eg the 8mm bolts were higher or lower in relation to the two pipes.

I was happy with my Bernstein NT2038 pan fitting the Geberit frame spot on.

8 hours ago, Temp said:

8mm bolts? They're 12mm on the Geberit.

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I suggested he beef up around the wc like this:

george_001.thumb.jpg.a3ebca2de1f3f81aaa8e8fd66c2ba27e.jpg

Reckons he can't because of:

IMG-20191129-WA0004.thumb.jpg.ea9a914b1fcc13d9cc83109c1caa0d8f.jpg

&

IMG-20191129-WA0003.thumb.jpg.a7d4d69e24e20626c975040ff70ec8c9.jpg

FFS all he has to do is scallop the upright around the waste and maybe thin down around the Tenbys!

Bloody hell your sketches are good ; you got gcse art ?

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

Bloody hell your sketches are good ; you got gcse art ?

Nah, Design & Technology GCE, GSSEs a bit after my time. All that 1st, 3rd angle, 30 & 45 oblique and perspective drawing on the board went in and stuck. Helps I can visualise in 3D. 

Now if you want a pretty sketch check out @AnonymousBosch's Paddington Bear inspired style!