Fire sprinkler systems

Our_Valleys_build

Ok. Crap . I thought I can get around this somehow, but today, Fire services and BC told me that they do not agree to my "45m to all points of the house "calculation and that i would need to provide "an alternative compensatory feature" .... "Typically this would be by providing a domestic sprinkler system throughout the property".

I am really really keen on avoiding this, started the argument about their measurements already, but probably going to loose it.

Anyone knows any other  "alternative ....features"  that work out cheaper, or is sprinkler system already the (very expensive) cheapest .

Another bullshit topic t i have to read myself into now  ? .

@PeterW

As far as I understand, this would need plumbing into the outside stopcock parallel to the mains water supply. Same as as sprinkler system supply (just with saving the expenses of professional services and the additional costs of a sprinkler system)

Or did I misunderstand this?

Would need to be a parallel link from the mains - potentially a larger bore as you’re effectively creating a local hydrant. 

Check with your local fire officer - they are normally amenable to a cuppa and a biscuit... 

• Like 1

Ok,

@PeterW s idea - 90mm pipe dryriser  = not acceptable

@Mr Punter s idea -  enhanced smoke detectors = not acceptable

I came up with another solution

A permanent on-site Fire Pump , in an outbuilding far enough away from the House, serviced annually to make sure it works in an emergency

like this:

WH15_6629_600.jpg

https://www.waterpumpsdirect.com/Honda-WH15-Water-Pump/p6629.html

I written a little Leaflet of how this would work, let s see if it s acceptabl;e to them .

?

What reasons did they give for turning down the dry riser and enhanced smoke detectors @Patrick?

The water pump is a no-no.

They like sprinklers because they are automatic, effective and cover the whole house.  Apparently nobody has (in this country?) died in a house fire where a domestic sprinkler system was correctly installed.  Have you got any quotes?

I'm wondering if they understood that what was being proposed was a dry riser.  These are common in buildings where a fire appliance can't get it's hoses to all areas where there may be a fire, usually taller buildings, where running hoses up fire escapes would present a hazard.

Perhaps worth finding out the standard for a dry riser, seeing how much it would cost to install one and then asking the fire officer again, but making it clear that what you are proposing is a standard dry riser.  A dry riser will have standard fittings on both ends, usually capped off with hand-removable blanking plugs.  These fittings accept a standard fire hose, so the pump appliance can connect to the accessible end and a fire hose manifold can connect to the house end, to allow the connection of standard fire hoses.

51 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

These fittings accept a standard fire hose, so the pump appliance can connect to the accessible end and a fire hose manifold can connect to the house end,

That is the main issue here, that the Pump can not get within 45m of the house. 

At least thats what they say. (at normal high risers , you can still park the fire engine in front of the building)

@Mr Punter makes sense what you say . They didnt give a reason, just said no, only acceptable method would be sprinklers . I would have to come up with a scheme that works and present it to them basically.

My Buidling Control officer currently looking into this. He s more helpful than our local fire guys here.

Quotes for sprinklers run from 3.5k up to 10k . And the cheaper ones all need seperate water supply and so on.... which will be another extra 1.5-2.5k.

So I am really keen on avoiding this, but understand the issue they will probably have with a pump.

33 minutes ago, Tony C said:

My house is similar in terms of 45m access issue, and settled with Automist sytem. They are kind of mist splay which require a lot less water than normal sprinkler, hence there is no need for a separate water supply.

https://plumis.co.uk/

The quote for a whole ground floor (around 90m2) was £5k FYI.

Sounds good, but for 5£k I can put a regular sprinkler system in. Point is, I just don't have 5£k for a sprinkler system. Neither do I have 3k. So trying to find a solution that cost me between 0£-900£.might not be possible.but I was told around 2-3 times every step of the build so far that "this is not possible and this is just how it is/how much it costs" and it happened exactly once that this was actually true. I ll keep you all updated.