Shower Drain or Shower Tray

Oz07

Got a bathroom to renovate in a bungalow. Screed is coming up and being re done. Drain has got to be bought in for shower as presently over bath other side of room.

Bearing this is mind i'm trying to weigh up pros and cons of shower tray or shower drain.

Tray seems a neater choice in terms of fit and forget, no tanking floor etc. I'm just thinking though I could put a shower drain in centre of where I want shower. I've fitted the Mc Alpine ones before and they go into top of 4" waste. I could get this done and ready for screening. Whereas with a tray i've got to choose tray, locate drain position, get plumber to first fix ready for installation of tray, then screed and have tray and waste fitted. Am I missing something or does this sound harder work than just a floor drain.

So whats the pros and cons and why

Not really pros or cons

is this your place ?

how long you going to live there ?

downstairs on a solid floor ? Why would you want a tray form it all in the screed and tile it level with the rest of the floor it will look 10 times more classy than a tray. 

Up stairs over a timber floor ? Depends if your brave enough to tank it all out and have a former, a lot more skill involved in making this leak proof. 

If in doubt put a tray in. 

FWIW I went through this decision-making process for our shower room.  We (she) wanted a big shower area, and having made a few scale models (complete with 1:50 scale model lady in a bikini in the shower - I kid you not)  we (she) settled on a minimum acceptable shower area of 2000mm x 900mm.  I made the shower room 2010mm wide, and then had a long, hard think about how to construct the shower area.  In the end I chickened out of fitting a wet room former, as I know my tiling is crap, and unlikely to improve (I hate tiling with a passion).  I found a local supplier offering a 2000mm x 900mm low profile shower tray (not cheap...) and opted to fit that.  I set the tray on a flexible tile adhesive bed (it was one of the very heavy ones, ~70kg)  and then fitted 9mm marine ply to the rest of the shower room floor (glued and screwed to death) and had 12mm travertine laid over that.

We're very happy with the result.  The tray only projects up about 20mm above the travertine and so there is no feeling of stepping up into the shower.  I did have to fit the 50mm drain under the floor though, but as this was on the first floor it was reasonably easy.  The Gods were with me, too, as the openings in the Posijoists allowed a straight run to the soil pipe stack.

Probably of more relevance to your case is the shower bath I fitted at our old house.  That had a larger, lower, shower area, and the floor beneath was concrete.  I didn't find it too much work to Kango a channel across the floor for the waste pipe, and make a hole under the bath trap.  After fitting the waste pipe and testing it, I just fitted floor tiles over the top of the channel.  That lasted a bit over 10 years with no sign of any problem.

Finally, because I hate tiling, I used AB Building Products Multipanel, both in the bathroom of our old house and in the bathroom and shower room of our new house.  I'm dead impressed with this stuff.  Far quicker and easier to fit than tiles and no nasty grout to try and keep clean.  The only snag with it is that the standard bottom edge seal is complete and utter crap, and should have been binned as an idea years ago.  Easy to get around though, just space the lower edge of the panels up by around 4 or 5 mm with tile spacers, then just run sealant into the gap.  Let that cure and either run a finishing bead of sealant, or, as I did (I hate cleaning grotty sealant too) fit a PVC trim bedded on clear sealant.

• Like 1

Thanks for replies. Will be mine yeh but not forever home. 

I always thought a tray was just neater less to worry about. The more I think about it though I'm leaning towards floor drain. 

I've got to rip existing (25/30mm) screed up in shower side of room anyway. Was previously two rooms and floor not level between them. I've also got to break out some concrete to get a drain in regardless of which option I go with as currently solid floor. I suppose if I go wet room style it means I'm deffo having tiled floor as opposed to vinyl planks etc 

If I rescreed at 30mm ish bonded to concrete below am I okay to liquid dpm on top then tile on top of that? No doubt there are adhesives suitable for on top of liquid dpm?

On ‎31‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:29, Oz07 said:

If I rescreed at 30mm ish bonded to concrete below am I okay to liquid dpm on top then tile on top of that? No doubt there are adhesives suitable for on top of liquid dpm?

WHOA!

Forget about screed ;) Fit some insulated tile backer boards down and get it arrow flat and not cold to stand on to boot :) 

bingo

6 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

WHOA!

Forget about screed ;) Fit some insulated tile backer boards down and get it arrow flat and not cold to stand on to boot :) 

bingo

What about accomodating the different floor level between rooms (used to be 2)

Any recommendations on floor drain?

8 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Because these are fibreglass will it do away for need of liquid DPM too?

Yes. These types of panel form a DPM.  You’ll need to make sure the adhesive used to bond them down doesn’t ooze upwards through the joints as that will bridge the board. 

For dofferebt thicknesses, use different boards. They’re available in 25mm, 20mm, 10mm and 6mm ;)  Just bond together the ones which make up the required depths, and these are easy to cut with an old saw / Stanley knife. 

Use a similar type of shower tray former and it’s a no-brainer.......Link

I went for a wall drain partly to keep the drain away from my UFH pipes. I was going to have a floor drain in the very corner but worried the trap could dry out due to heat from the slab.

20180327_174524

What clinched the wall drain was SWMBO wanting the corner mitred which effectively kicked the floor drain into touch.

In an ideal world I'd have had the wall drain at the bottom of the mitred section (but wall drain is wider than the chosen tiles).

20180815_205515

Tbh I don't think the trap drying out will be an issue considering the time one child spends in the shower. More worried about how often I'll be taking the wall drain cover off to clean hair out of the trap!

• Like 1