Final payment question

Andyoxon

Hi, I am about to sign the window contact and the company At-Eco supplying Internorm wants 50% to place the order, 45% before delivery and 5% on completion which sounds fine if everything goes well, but I have read a number of people have had problems with their windows/installation is it reasonable to hold off the final payment for a period of time, 3months? To make sure there are no leaks or other issues? And if so how much would you think is a fair amount to hold back after installation the total invoice is £23000. Interested to hear your thoughts and what anyone else has done.

many thanks

Andy

I guess that depends on the terms of the contract and whether you would be in breach of it by doing that.

I paid in full for mine by the time they were all in, even though a few snags needed attending to, but I've had no problems with the firm (Norrsken) and they've been great with coming back to make any adjustments.  They will still need to return to address a few cosmetic issues, but this won't be done until we're complete - about 4 months after the installation was complete.

Does it stipulate what it means by completion as for example  all fully installed and signed off by you saying you are happy.  In terms of warranty im sure you have asked questions that  it will cover any issues that might arise. 

I don't think they would take too kind to you with holding money for 3 months in case you find a problem. 

We paid for our windows up front (supply only) but a friend had an issue with theirs (not Internorm) and held off paying the remainder but it was so little that the company in question couldn't be bothered to come and address the issues, and refused to provide the guarantee as full payment had not been made. I would want to withhold 10% at least until you've had a chance to check that they don't leak etc. so suggest a final invoice with 30 days to pay maybe? A decent company will want to address the issues anyway. I don't think witholding money for 3 months is appropriate TBH.  Where else would you get away with that?

Research online reviews of the company, look for their trading history, and ask to pay £100 by credit card as a partial deposit as this should provide some protection for you in the event that there is an issue with either the delivery of the goods, or a quality issue later. 

I was never intending to break the contrac,  I wanted to know if anyone else had ammended the contract before signing it. 30 days seems fine if they come out and fix any issues in this time. Although if you look at some of the nightmare installations some people have experienced making the final payment before you are totally satisfied would be unwise obviously depends on the working of the contract you have signed, but from the responses so far recieved it looks like just paying up and hoping the company will come back an fix any issues is what you think is reasonable. I will see if anyone else has any thoughts before signing the paperwork.

thanks for the reply’s so far

1 minute ago, Andyoxon said:

I wanted to know if anyone else had amended the contract before signing it.

I reckon you should just ask to vary the contract slightly. They can only say no. Tell them that it's what your accountant has advised you to do ;). If you make a small credit card payment you may not need to vary the terms as the protection that provides you with under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act is much more valuable to you than pretty much anything else otherwise you are putting 95% of your money (nearly 22k) at risk by paying in cash up front. If they don't deliver the windows that will be way worse than having one that leaks slightly (for example). 

Unfortunately You don’t seem to have much choice nowadays 

Weather a kitchen or a carpet 

Large deposit upfront The rest on delivery 

Windows bifolds B&B All supply only All wanted the balance before delivered 

Its just worth paying a potion of the deposit on your credit card 

23 minutes ago, Adam2 said:

This article on Section 75 and possible issues is worth a read if planning on relying on this:

Yes that’s a crappy scenario. Worth asking your own credit card company how they treat such scenarios I guess. 

I really don't know - imagine the conversation not being a quick one! I find it strange, and a bit unreasonable for the CC company, to have to take full liability for something costing up to 30K just because you paid £100 on the card and the balance some other way. Having legal expenses insurance is probably a useful add-on to house insurance during times of significant procurement - assuming that covers enough eventualities that is. Buying from a company with a good reputation to protect that is hopefully going to still be in business to deliver your windows after you paid a deposit is probably the main priority - that and how they look of course.