PIR light staying on

Adam2

Current house had an interesting previous owner ? screwed closed the letterbox, removed door bell and exterior light - guess didn't like company. Letterbox was no problem to fix of course. I'm now attending to the wall light and door bell. The helpful person just filled the K-rend with some ill-matched filler (lots of it) so looks pretty shabby.

I bought a PIR equipped exterior light and managed to dig out the cable from the filler on the exterior wall. Fitted an extension to the existing wiring and connected in to the light - light though didn't function. Looked into the switch and found the cables had been cut there so reconnected. Tadaa, the light comes on but does not go off. Tried leaving light turned off for a while and then turning on but no joy still stays on, turned the light sensor down to min and still same. Is there anyway a light could be wired up so that it has power but stays on like this? I don't see how this could be but thought should ask to rule that out (or not). The switch for this light is on a double with the other switch being part of a dual control for the hallway lighting so a few cables in the box.

(All lighting circuits were turned off prior to the above)

Thanks for advice.

How long have you left it turned on for? 

Some PIR lights seem to stay on for a long time when first powered up, longer than the normal time setting.  We have two like this, that come on and stay on for around 5 to 10 minutes after a power cut, then they settle down and work normally.

OK - leaving it on seems to have fixed it. Thanks for speedy input. It just needed to settle in to its new home. Quite pleased that my fledgling skills in this dept have worked out well - will have a surprised wife when she gets back this eve ?