Building work hours

I know its fairly standard.

"All building works including demolition, construction and machinery or plant
operation should only be carried out between the hours of 0800 and 1800 hrs
Monday to Friday and 0800 and 1300 hrs Saturday and at no time on Sundays
or recognised public holidays."

I was hoping to do a bit my myself at the weekends...

What would you do? Keep quiet and hope no one notices?

Edited by Sjk

We had a similar restriction and definitely broke it a fair few times, especially when MBC were on site, as they tended to work from dawn to dusk (and beyond at times).  We did try to keep the noise down as best we could, and in reality there's very little possibility of nuisance once the house shell is up and weathertight, and most of the work has shifted to inside, anyway.

My guess is that if you were using a digger or mixer outside the allotted hours then someone might well complain, but with luck no one will bother too much if you're just doing other work on site.  The exception to that would be if a neighbour objected to the planning proposal and remains opposed, as by working outside the permitted hours it would hand them ammunition for a legitimate complaint.  Having said that, what's the worst that can happen?  The first breach would just be a warning from the local authority, and it would probably only be repeated breaches that would cause them to take action.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do as JSHarris says;

1 hour ago, Sjk said:

What would you do? Keep quiet and hope no one notices?

Also "Where allegations of noise from such works are substantiated by the Environmental Protection Team, a Notice limiting the hours of operation under The Control of Pollution Act 1974 may be served."

So first off, don't get any allegation of noise reported to environmental health, second if you do, stop and be nice to any visiting environmental health officers, and third if you do get a notice, abide by it.

Your site has some close neighbours, so try and keep them on side, and don't take the pi$$ too much. 

• 1 year later...

Sorry it revive an old thread, does anyone have a link or information to specific working times for a self build? 

We have no planning conditions with any working time restrictions however I have just had a neighbour angrily tell me that I shouldn't be breaking the "enviromental act" and shouldn't be working on a weekend or bank holiday. Does this apply to self build? 

We broke ground on Friday and had the digger and dumper going yesterday from 9 till 5. Think that may of tipped him over the edge but that's the way it goes sometimes. I can't see that the same rules. He said we shouldn't be working on a weekend or a bank holiday either. 

Surely these rules, if at all correct, only adhere to standard building sites not self builds, as my concern now is that because I work full time on shifts I was planning to work on site on weekends and evenings! 

I have a similar planning condition (Cambridge England):

No construction work or demolition work shall be carried out or plant operated other than between the following hours: 0800 hours and 1800 hours on Monday to Friday, 0800 hours and 1300 hours on Saturday and at no time on Sundays, Bank or Public Holidays.

Reason: To protect the amenity of the adjoining properties.

To be fair it is Easter sunday and if you plan to live there; these are your future neighbours.

On the flip side if it's not in your planning conditions then who's to stop you. I bet there's a lot of folk sat at home got used to quiet times etc..

Come on guys, surely you can appreciate people are entitled to some peace and quiet on evenings, weekends and bank holidays - how would you appreciate it if you were trying to relax and someone was making building noise. I'm hoping to work the summer weekends, but only if all the neighbours agree it's ok and agree to ask me to stop at anytime they want. I think everyone needs to be considerate and see the different types of noise..........

Look on your council website and it's bound to state it

Edited by Vijay

Our problem with noise is new neighbours who have started a puppy farm and their “little darlings” do nothing but bark all day at anything that moves, I think I would prefer a digger!!!!,

5 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Our problem with noise is new neighbours who have started a puppy farm and their “little darlings” do nothing but bark all day at anything that moves, I think I would prefer a digger!!!!,

Nothing that can't be fixed with a few sleeping pills tucked into some bits of meat and chucked in the pens.  Seems to always work for the bad guys in films . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Neighbours can be strange animals.

At a previous semi detached house, I had work to do that was obviously going to be a nuisance to the neighbours.  So I asked what I thought was a perfectly reasonable question.  I asked that if they were going out, they let me know, so I could do the noisy work while they were not there.

Their response was astonishing "How dare you ask us to go out so you can make noise......"

Some people you just can't help.

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Vijay said:

Come on guys, surely you can appreciate people are entitled to some peace and quiet on evenings, weekends and bank holidays - how would you appreciate it if you were trying to relax and someone was making building noise. I'm hoping to work the summer weekends, but only if all the neighbours agree it's ok and agree to ask me to stop at anytime they want. I think everyone needs to be considerate and see the different types of noise..........

Look on your council website and it's bound to state it

I take on board what your saying, but normally building sites run Monday to Friday 8-5 and Saturday mornings. The whole essence of self build is to "self build" and to me that involves working on your home after work and at weekends. I'm looking for any legislation that can advice me and my neighbour clearly so we can work within those rules for both of our benefit  

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Neighbours can be strange animals.

At a previous semi detached house, I had work to do that was obviously going to be a nuisance to the neighbours.  So I asked what I thought was a perfectly reasonable question.  I asked that if they were going out, they let me know, so I could do the noisy work while they were not there.

Their response was astonishing "How dare you ask us to go out so you can make noise......"

Some people you just can't help.

Hmm. No pleasing some folk. When I spoke to my neighbour i offered to give him my number so he could get in touch if there was an issue with noise in the future. He declined to take it and just kept referring back to the enviromental act. I'm still looking for any specific self build working time laws but nothing found yet. 

I've double checked my planning conditions and I definatly don't have and restrictions in there. 

1 hour ago, Olly P said:

Sorry it revive an old thread, does anyone have a link or information to specific working times for a self build? 

Look on your local council website construction or environmental health page. This is an example:-

https://www.cheltenham.gov.uk/info/66/environmental_protection_and_pollution/910/construction_and_building_sites

Control of pollution act 1974 is the reference legislation. As others have mentioned, self building is sort of irrelevant - it's still classed as construction and as a construction site.

In practice, perhaps consider how noisy it is actually going to get and whether most of the noise generating activity can be managed to certain hours.

Official advice from Enviromental health is that because I have no time restrictive planning conditions,  I can work any day but I must not make any noise before 8am or after 11pm! However They advised to be neighbourly and try to keep the machinery/plant work to the daytime which I would do anyway. Seems a sensible outcome to me. 

My scaffolders are here now finishing up and 

I suspect the TF team will be working through the next couple of weekends. The neighbours are nice enough though so I cant imagine they will get upset as it's only temporary!

I guess a lot depends on how your neighbours are.

• Like 1