What is this bit called and where do I buy them?!

divorcingjack

Hi all, 

We’re about to commission our UFH, but my plumber has come across a problem with my bargain (£10!) gumtree manifold. Someone had used it before and when removing it, has just cut the pipe and left the end bits in. It is not the same size as our pipe, and we need new jointy-reducer-coupling thingys. I have tried hopefully googling “manifold pipe jointy things” but with no success as yet. 

WTF are these bits called and what do I need to buy to make my cheapo manifold work? I have attached a photo for reference. 

ABB35CC4-921B-486D-87F5-2A8B09950377.jpeg

Edited by divorcingjack
Add photo.

6 minutes ago, divorcingjack said:

what do I need to buy to make my cheapo manifold work

A miracle...? ?

They are called eurocone adapters and get them here

But at nearly £5 each, you may be best just binning the manifold and getting a new one.  

• Thanks 1

That's a Polypipe manifold with 15mm pushfits and some kind of reducer pushed in (10 or 12mm JG?)

I presume you've used 16mm pipe?

I'm not sure, but i don't think the Polypipe connector comes off leaving a Eurocone. I could be wrong tho, it's worth a try.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

That's a Polypipe manifold with 15mm pushfits and some kind of reducer pushed in (10 or 12mm JG?)

I presume you've used 16mm pipe?

I'm not sure, but i don't think the Polypipe connector comes off leaving a Eurocone. I could be wrong tho, it's worth a try.

Closer look and that definitely looks like a reducer - you would need to take the grey ring assembly off to replace with a Eurocone leaving the brass insert in the manifold. 

Other option if it is 15mm is to create a series of 15mm tails and use 15/16mm converters which are only £2.50 on eBay.  

• Thanks 1

That looks like the same manifold I used in my first house, so once you unscrew the grey / black adaptor it should leave the correct fitting for eurocone fittings

Roughly £2 each on ebay depending who you buy from and what quantity.

• Thanks 1

You guys/ladies are legends. Going to have a proper look and measure now. One more “what is this bit” question - why do I have what looks like a blending thing on my Telford hot water cylinder? What is it for? Pic below :) 

4EC307DF-80E0-4937-9E3C-AA35F74C5C6A.jpeg

PS: please don’t say “blending”. My plumber wants to know why you would want to blend direct from the cylinder as surely that is done at the manifold? 

Edited by divorcingjack

That's a thermal mixer valve to limit the temperature of the hot water delivered to the taps. Nothing to do with heating.

I assume you plumbing is not finished yet? No discharge pipe work from the over temperature relief valve yet.

You can position the blender anywhere between store and manifold but you will full the pipe with higher temp water and waste energy if positioned at manifold. You want the manifold and store as close as possible as you don't won't to full a larger bore pipe of hot water this will make getting hot water at taps longer wait. 

The small silver tank is a shock arrested 

https://www.rwc.co.uk/product/potable-water-shock-arrestors/

aaanyway, back to the mystery bit on my cheapo manifold - got some more pics. Are we still thinking a reducer? Husband says not.... 

the back and grey parts don’t come apart and appear to be one thing. 

There is is a brass thread left on the manifold itself. 

AC48FFB5-E033-4529-B03C-5205351DF5C0.jpeg

3D5ADE3B-C2B5-4F29-939F-79CE724DB979.jpeg

BCA2FAB5-C5A0-4984-97E6-310F37AEF93F.jpeg

• Like 1