Ugly house re-design

Ok. It’s been a few weeks!  I think I have a plan for the inside but I just wanted to get some opinions on the outside. What do you think?

34031ED2-FBA4-4E34-B343-A883EA2EB7FD.jpeg

C9B0DCBC-4FC9-471C-9A2D-D3BDF9462943.jpeg

F7F54B27-CACA-46BF-8CC0-7098727B323D.jpeg

Edited by Lift span

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lift span said:

Anybody?

Sorry - missed the update on March 7 ?.

I agree with Nick.  The second one is the better. The front door needs a strong frame. Details after the intermission:

1 - That facade feels at ease with itself, to me.

a The roofline is progressive in profile - high, medium, low.

b That incongruous mini gable has gone.

c The consistent window subdivisions unify.

d Skylights look good as a counterbalance point to the high RHS gable. That should be preservable even if you need to change them.

2 - The only uncomfortable elements to me are:

a The 4 windows on the RHS being foursquare.  Perhaps they are foursquare in 2d not 3d, and it is just parallax in the perspective. I would probably try and change that if not.

b I am still in 2 minds about the different heights to the bottom edges of the cladding. You can argue that it reflects the graduated roofline, or that they should be the same. It might be good with cladding down to the near-ground on the LHS. One to think about.

3 - My further comments:

a Whilst it looks balanced and comfortable, to me the visual feel us a little "flat" in this presentation, with pastel shades of cladding and a front door that does not stand out.

b That is difficult to comment on in detail with the drawings we have, but I would suggest that the front door definitely needs to stand out more - that could be done by a strong colour front door say black or match the slates or dark red or blue or Wimbledon Green. It needs to be the place the eye stops when you look at the house from the front.

I might be good to deliberately use a strongly contrasting material for the door surround inside the porch, so the eye first takes in the balanced whole, and is attracted in to the porch by the frame, then that material as the "mount", then the front door as the picture and subliminally wants to come inside your nice house.

I am thinking of eg glazed bricks (black or grey to reflect the rook, or London Transport oxblood could work), or anything else that stands out from the facade. Or you could use a stronger cladding colour. But imo the porch / door needs to say "look at ME", or something else to say "look at THAT door, THERE".

c But how that works depends on your cladding pattern and material and colour, so I need to leave that with you and the decision does not need to be made yet. But try a few colour changes to cladding and door and see what it looks like.

Looking forward to seeing your interior.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Great comments thanks!

The windows are square, you’re right it’s just the view.

I’ve brought the cladding down, darkened the stone around the door and done some door colour options ...

2A00EB76-1B54-478C-9F44-24A892C8B71D.jpeg

D80A9B56-6BE5-41DB-9726-3E497FB3D7A9.jpeg

EF9EDDC1-A395-40E7-97ED-ED0DA46EB55B.jpeg

Edited by Lift span

On 28/01/2019 at 16:21, Ferdinand said:

We don't normally talk about going on television, but Ugly House to Lovely House is one of the more humane ones, imo.

F

Last weeks house in Claverdon...I pass it most weeks and have watched it going on.  The builders used were ones I had a chat with before going down the MBC route.  They are good builders but not cheap.  Looking from the road its a nice job but it sticks out like a sore thumb in the row of houses how planners gave permission I don't' know.  Its on a busy main road so maybe that helped as its not a great road to live on with all the traffic, its a rat run to the M40. 

I thought the whinging about the cost was a bit much considering they got the house for nothing.

Of those I prefer the green.

The effects of tiny changes are weird,  but to me the green door makes the LH corner of the RH gable much sharper / better resolved where it meets the window above the porch, and the others do not.

It may be that the surroundings being set out in a tone of green make that seem better, but to me that shows how the details really matter.

Can you do one with adark grey window frames and door (incl. side panels), and the door surround inside the porch in black or oxblood or dark red. That would be interesting.

But I admit this is just a self-indulgence. It wants a few comments from others no imo, and then the inside.

Ferdinand

• 3 months later...

Just to update this.

It took a while but I’ve got planning permission through and I’m in the process of getting the Building Regs approved.

I’ve changed things a little bit. What do people think?

I’ve gone off the Cedral cladding idea and am looking at stone/flint cladding only on the front extension instead. The windows and doors are in Iron grey (RAL 7011).

9FF90C66-9178-4D14-8751-BB9B22798A27.thumb.png.b693b3d070f24a96c58ca994042f1e81.png

05B77955-717E-4AD7-B761-388DFDCE53EA.thumb.png.5b84070348e12e42f7e31584a47e1627.png

8C8AF541-7068-4D23-A069-49205E631398.thumb.png.efeb833c17fa0175dd9f99fa7f734578.png

Looks much better than prior iterations.

I agree with @Ferdinand, it needs a spark of colour. We have a similar overall colour scheme, even down to the engineering bricks, but went with a very red front door (and garage door, but that's more or less out of sight from the road).

The interior hasn’t changed much apart from the entrance way itself. We have also got plans for kitchen extension which I’ll do after this is complete.

11F1C8B1-AE53-49D3-A0FD-AC4C3F919637.thumb.jpeg.83a5596ed29f6a17e3608078d08a2526.jpeg

38E3D0B1-AB3D-4651-BBA1-F0B593BAB288.thumb.jpeg.e4dbb7e5328f1daa6647f46b7af6489b.jpeg

View from inside looking towards front door:

F71A65D6-7A92-491D-9399-2F2FFC9554A1.thumb.jpeg.e5e23f443be133e5eb7ada270ff0d8f2.jpeg

The floor layout is still bonkers IMO. Am I reading it that to get to the kitchen you go up 2 steps from outside to the front door, then down 4 steps, then avoiding the new diagonal steps you turn right, go up 3 steps, turn left in an inner lobby then through a door and the kitchen is at about the same level as where you started?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes pretty much. Although in reality there won’t be steps outside the front door.

We’ve been around this alot and and in the end decided it’s a quirky house now and it will be when it’s done. 

We thought about swapping the kitchen to the lower floor. Or, having an open central atrium with a level area to the kitchen. In the end we thought other parts of the house would be compromised for the sake of a few steps. 

It’s never too late though ....!

1 hour ago, Lift span said:

definitely decided on a grey door. Now you’ve got me thinking 

?

You can park that one until you start building it, unless your planners are control freaks.

Ignore mischevious people stirring. 

(Unless you think that the door surround porch wall should really be a different colour too ?.)

TBH I do not think you can judge this from the picture so there is IMO no point in trying.

Edited by Ferdinand