New Build in Alyth - Perthshire

DonGillies

Hello all,

I'm just about to start a self build in Alyth in Perthshire. I will project manage the build and do as much of the unskilled work that i can. I have no previous construction experience but have been managing my brothers build project that started 4 months ago. 

Looking forward to a busy year and will have lots of questions along the way. 

Cheers,

Don 

Dons.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome.  I'm sure you'll find lots of great info on here.  As well as lots of extremely helpful advice.  I finished our build just over five years ago, and it was the best thing we ever did.  I'm just down the road from you,  just outside Coupar Angus.  The house in the photo looks great.  Is yours going to be the same? 

14 minutes ago, pulhamdown said:

Welcome.  I'm sure you'll find lots of great info on here.  As well as lots of extremely helpful advice.  I finished our build just over five years ago, and it was the best thing we ever did.  I'm just down the road from you,  just outside Coupar Angus.  The house in the photo looks great.  Is yours going to be the same? 

Yes the picture is a 3D render from the Architects so should look the same. Been waiting 8 months to get started so cant wait to start now.

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Liking that a lot.

How does that vertical timber on the left attach/support the roof if that's what it does or is it just a feature?

I'm not 100% sure at the moment, I'm waiting for the engineers to do their bit and advise of the best detail.

5 minutes ago, Stones said:

@DonGillies  Welcome to the forum.  Nice part of the world (I used to live a couple of miles from @pulhamdown ).  Externally, your design bears a lot of similarity with the small development in Meikleour which was one I've always like the look of.

Have you identified contractors for the work you won't be doing yourself?

I have a grounds work contractor lined up, same with block work, slaters and most other trades.

I am midway through the project management of a build for my brother in Dunkeld, this has proved valuable in learning the sequence of a build, and also meeting some reliable trades people. 

Pic below of the project I'm doing for my brother.

50493326_1157286361102075_4831076852032339968_o.jpg

9 hours ago, DonGillies said:

Hi Neil,

Internal size is 256 Sq M 

I'm aiming to build it for around £280k so will be a bit tight.

Should be doable if you’re careful, we’re nearly finished (just some outside work to do) a268m2 build which should come in about 270k

Edited by Christine Walker
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, DonGillies said:

I am midway through the project management of a build for my brother in Dunkeld, this has proved valuable in learning the sequence of a build,  

We had two Polish guys doing the render on the outside of our house.  They had built several houses in Poland, before coming over here.  Their motto was to sell the first house they had built,  build the next one for someone in your family, then you will have learned enough to build your own! 

6 minutes ago, pulhamdown said:

We had two Polish guys doing the render on the outside of our house.  They had built several houses in Poland, before coming over here.  Their motto was to sell the first house they had built,  build the next one for someone in your family, then you will have learned enough to build your own! 

I remember being told years ago when we did our first that once you get to the third house you’ll get it just right!