Budget cost for demolition?

Robert Clark

Hi Guys

Any idea how much I should budget for demolishing a 230m, two storey detached, brick built house and garage in Sussex?

No hazardous material on site.

The roof tiles will need to be removed by hand due to bats.

Thanks for any suggestions 

Im paying £6k for the removal of a steading site at the moment that's a bit bigger than 230M.

I got in touch with a slate reclaim yard and they are coming to remove all my slates, and paying me £900 for the slate (i also have bats). Might be worth seeing if anyone local will come and buy the tiles and take them down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had wide ranging estimates from 8K to (really!) 37K for a 4 bed house and large garage. Site is not easy as sloped and house effectively on 4 floors with limited side access. I guess the higher quotes didn't really want the work. Found more competitive quotes from smaller local contractors. We have sight of insurance policy scope/validity from preferred contractor which I think is quite important given the risks.

• Like 1

Sussex. Hmmm.

I'd allow maybe 12k-15k ballpark plus 10-20% contingency, and adjust the numbers as more detail is revealed, and extra costs come to light.

The nice thing is that you get to know the outturn on this element early in the build, so you can recycle the contingency.

• Like 1

Ours is around £10k for a 3 bed dormer bungalow & garage a significant issue was an access road 8' wide in places. We used a local farmer for most of it, he also dug/ filled in trenches we needed for services whilst the digger was there. 

Edited by Nick1c
  • Like 1