Backdrop Manhole

Jamie998

Right, soooo, one solution to my lack of depth for my foul run (covered on pervious threads) is to excavate the manhole I intend to connect to and install a backdrop IC there.

The manhole in question serves a neighbours property before connecting to mains sewer.  It is approximately 30cm deep at the minute and about 0.75m from the neighbours front door.  The output from it runs perpendicular to the neighbours frontage for about 30cm before turning 90 degrees to the right and running a further 5m ish to the sewer invert which is 3m, so that's a fairly steep connection to the sewer.

If I dig out this manhole and stick an IC in at say 1.35m deep (so digging out an additional 1.05m beyond the existing depth) this should give me a fall of about 1:60 (over the 52m length from my property).

However, in order to reconnect the neighbours shallow foul runs it will have to be done using backdrop connections.

Does this sound feasible?  There were a few indirect comments regarding backdrops on a previous thread which leads me to believe they are a favourable method? 

I will try and sketch this in a bit.

why do you have to connect to the neighbours very shallow system --why not go direct to the main sewer manhole?

then his problems are never yours.

for sure if there ever are any you will be blamed as you have connected last on the system .

maybe a conversation with the BC is in order ?

I could connect to main sewer - but then it will cost a hell of a lot more and I would have to used an 'Approved Contractor'.  This may seem like hassle at the minute but I'm seeing money to be saved - potentially enough not to be sniffed at.

There doesn't seem to be any issues with me actually connecting to the manhole - its just the levels that are a problem.  There will only be two houses on this connection and without going into the weeds I am not concerned about where responsibility lies in the event of a blockage.  If it blocks I'll get some drain rods out and unblock it - simples.  If this is done 'right' then should be no more likelihood of it blocking than anyone else's - sometimes s@@t happens and if so it will be dealt with.

I've spoken to BC - other than to say it sounds ok I'm on my own.  

The image is a rough sketch of the current foul run from the manhole to the main sewer.  At a fall of 1:60 my run would come in at about 1.05m below the current invert. 

Untitled (3).png

I've paid the connection fee already Peter and they have no problem with me connecting Indirectly - its just the 'how' now.  Throwing my conundrum out to the audience in the hope that the collective mind will focus in on the optimal solution to the problem.

Many ways to skin a cat - which is cheapest vs easies that is the question!!

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

If you are England then you need the sewage company permission to connect to someone else’s pipework as it creates a service connection. 

Permission yes but this could be indirect if neighbours pipework currently only serves them. Sounds entirely desirable OP. If i were you I'd be concentrating on making sure you have a legal right to run drains on their ground. The work is the easy part.

I have permission both from the sewage company and the neighbour.  Its all in the deeds that I have right of access for all services etc. etc...(all the i's are dotted and t's crossed so no issues in this regard).

When I filled out my foul drainage application form stated I would connect indirectly via neighbour.  It currently serves neighbour only so I will be property no.2.  No problem with flow capacity of pipe etc., it can support my additional connection.

My head tells me to break the neighbours connection, dig a deeper hole, whack in an IC to 1.4m, connect my pipe, connect neighbours pipe as a backdrop connection to the new depth, reconnect to the pipe that connects the outlet to the sewer albeit at a deeper depth.  Am I missing something fundamental?

P.S.  The only contact I have since had with the sewage company is to say 'no you can't bill me yet as the connection hasn't been done yet - ok, ring us when it has - rgr'

Edited by Jamie998