Things going bump in the night!

Those who follow this forum know we moved in at the end of November 2018.

Fast forward a few weeks and it seems that the OH is convinced that we have some "visitors" in the loft / attic space of our TF house. I can't deny there aren't noises coming from the space above but having spent a good 20 minutes in the area the other day, I couldn't find any evidence of any visitors.

There is no way such guests could get in as it is fully "enveloped". But she is not convinced.

I believe it is just the timber etc re-acting to the weather or settling down so to speak. 

Has anyone else suffered such "noises" or what are the general thoughts of the collective?

@redoctober

A couple of years ago I had a client who self-built a green-oak framed house. The loud noises from the oak at night as it dried out meant that his 2 young daughters were too scared to sleep in their own beds at night.

What kind of noises are you getting?

Edited by Ian
  • Thanks 1

Whack some rat poison down and wait for the smell. No rats, no smell. Saying that in a well sealed house the smell must be proper rough! 

How do I know? Just had the same issue. Who else has flies in the house mid winter? :)

Glad my lad's at uni as it smells the worst in his room!

7 minutes ago, Ian said:

What kind of noises are you getting?

Hi @Ian - I believe it to be creaking noises - ever so subtle but all over the space, as opposed to in a particular area so to speak. This though has convinced the OH that there is something flying about bashing into the timber structures. 

Just now, ProDave said:

Warm roof or cold roof?

It is a cold roof structure with 2 layers of 140mm insulation laid throughout.

1 minute ago, Redoctober said:

Hi @Ian - I believe it to be creaking noises - ever so subtle but all over the space, as opposed to in a particular area so to speak. This though has convinced the OH that there is something flying about bashing into the timber structures. 

You haven't got a metal roof have you? Those can make noises as the roof surface heats up & cools down.

Our house (timber framed) makes noises from time to time.  Sometimes we get quiet bumps, sometimes (when the sun comes out) we get fairly loud bangs from the uPVC guttering expanding (which also made it "walk" sideways, until I fitted some stainless screws to stop it).  The noises are more noticeable because the house is so quiet, being well sealed and insulated.  I'm sure our old house made some noises, too, but we rarely noticed them as the background noise level was a lot higher.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

It is a cold roof structure with 2 layers of 140mm insulation laid throughout.

A cold roof will be ventilated, so it could well be vermin.  You won't see them just b by looking, they will be under the insulation. After a long period, you may see droppings.

Put some rat poison down, that will sort them.

• Thanks 1

About 3 years ago I wedged an oak slither in a gap in our green oak ridge beam when we fitted them. It fell down last weekend and hit me on the head. Took me a good minute to realise what had happened, I shouted hello thinking someone was pranking me as I had the french doors open in the pitch black letting my dog out. Quite scary when your in the middle of a forest with no lighting hah. Creepiest thing was waking up one night to voices outside and opening the caravan curtains, some guy was just staring in. He got more of a fright than me though? 

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

For completeness I thought I would tidy this thread up with my findings at 0730hrs this morning.  We were once again awoken by the "noises". Ready for them this time. I climbed the ladder to the attic space, flooded it with light and looked - nothing other than the sound of a creaking frame! I know this because the noises continued whilst I was up there.

I think the weather plays its part. Although frozen outside, the sun was already having an impact on one side of the house. Whatever, I am more than satisfied there were no visitors as such upstairs which has reassured Mrs W.

• Like 1