Hi I’m new here, right so I’ve never worked on a building site I’ve only worked on private work extensions garden walls etc. I’m needing to go on site now how will it work as a single bricklayer? Will it just be me building the house etc? How do you get paid (price work) cheers 

In order to make your money you will really need at least another brickie and a good labourer.  If your doing it all your self you  will be spending too much time loading up,  mixing motar and putting it on the boards and not enough time actually laying bricks and blocks. So you either need to join up with an existing squad or form your own.  

In terms of experience how many years do you have,  it's a big leap from garden walls to full houses. 

Have you all your cards, csr and  insurance, tax man etc.??? 

• Like 1

Don't just ask about the  per 1000 bit.  Do they pay wet days for example. 

Is there plenty of work on the site.

Are there any other squads willing to take you on, this will obviously depend on how good you are plus how fast you are.  

When I had a team of brickies onsite for a weekend laying my foundation blocks another guy turned up and introduced himself to the team as a relocating brickie. My guys were happy to talk to him for 10 minutes and compare notes on the state of the trade.

When he left they laughed at his expectation of £325 a day which the relocating brickie claimed was the going big-site rate 70 miles away though they were not offended by the approach.

49 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

When he left they laughed at his expectation of £325 a day which the relocating brickie claimed was the going big-site rate 70 miles away

Not as unrealistic as you might think,with the prices I see advertised on social media trades groups. You’d need to be quick though,have a decent gang,a well run site,give the forky £100/week drink to look after you & work like a dog. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brickie said:

Not as unrealistic as you might think,with the prices I see advertised on social media trades groups. You’d need to be quick though,have a decent gang,a well run site,give the forky £100/week drink to look after you & work like a dog. 

I agree 

most sites will guarantee Brickies 

200 per day Even in winter 

350 per day is not unual In good weather A good plasterer tiler Framer can earn 300 per day right through the year and more 

The difference between site guys and the my builder guys is enormous 

OST of the Brickies I know don’t have a labourer 

The motor is.vertually always cylo 

and lifted onto the scaffold with a Telehandler Along with bricks and blocks 

Though a CSCS card is a must

Yiu won’t get past the front gate without one 

Simply route your City and Guilds out

and apply to take the test 

2 hours ago, Brickie said:

I am sure you know the national figures better than me, the source of the chuckles was that the job hunting brickie wanted a quiet rural life with small commutes away from the stresses of big cities and large housing developments without a pay cut. The two brothers were on half of that £325 which they said was the going rate locally.