Wanted new self build, ideally to Passivhaus.

Is there anyone out there who is in the early stages of their build 'journey', ideally a Passivhaus?  The podcast/website www.houseplanninghelp.com, which I have been listening to since it started and think is very useful, is looking for its second self build case study for its Hub.  It has already been following the build of Long Barrow, being built by Alex Baines, near Cirencester.  This is an ICF, earth sheltered Passivhaus and now they are looking for a second case study to follow through from planning to final build.  If at all interested, contact Ben Adam Smith at the website.  Similar to myself, he has been researching as much as he can while looking for land for his own build but, like myself, not finding anything affordable. However, as well as learning himself, he has been sharing everything he has found with others via his podcasts and now the Hub.  It would be great if someone could help him out with another case study.  He wants it to be useful for everyone, including you, your builders and build team and will hopefully include all the good points as well as all the bad parts.  After all, thats often when we learn the most.

Hope someone can help.  I'd love to do it but no luck with the land yet.  :(

www.houseplanninghelp.com

The key to finding an affordable plot is "location" I can show you lots of plots for sale up here, as low as £40K.

I am building I hope to something like passive house standards (though not certified as such) but I don't subscribe to the earth sheltered stuff unless there are planning reasons why you have to "hide" your house.

I can do plenty of "bad points" mostly relating to inability to sell the old house and thereore lack of funds for the new one.

• 2 months later...

I can suggest it but who would you be thinking of putting forward for the interview?.  I did suggest Jeremy ages ago but Ben has had no reply from him.  Maybe he could use several of those who are finished or nearly finished their homes and see how much they got from this and other forums? 

11 hours ago, TheMitchells said:

I can suggest it but who would you be thinking of putting forward for the interview?.  I did suggest Jeremy ages ago but Ben has had no reply from him.  Maybe he could use several of those who are finished or nearly finished their homes and see how much they got from this and other forums? 

I would have thought any of the founders / mods would be very good, especially as doing a fluent podcast interview is usually roughly just reading a briefing email, thinking while doing other things for a day, perhaps jotting down a few notes, imbibing a double tot of alcohol or tea, then receiving a 45-60 minute phone call.

Most of the work (and imo there is not really much of that unless the podcaster is are a perfectionist - good interviewers will do it in one take and just need to top and tail then filter and encode) is post-processing.

I would go for someone who is a) self-building and b) can express a good grasp of the overall purpose of Buildhub and c) has a clear, well-articulated voice.

It is quite enjoyable to be interviewed in that way, since it is just talking to one interested person.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand