Internal blockwork walls

DaveH

Is it acceptable to build my ground floor internal walls in blockwork directly off the 6 inch reinforced concrete slab rather than constructing timber studwork walls? The only loadbearing wall has footings underneath but the room dividing walls would just be straight off the slab.

• 3 weeks later...

So after taking further advice I'm looking to construct my internal walls in blockwork instead of timber studs. My builder has suggested using thermalite but I've heard negative remarks regarding the ability to mount heavy items to them (I'm thinking TV, MVHR unit etc etc). Does anyone have any practical advice regarding lightweight blocks vs medium density concrete blocks please?

Why would you use thermalite for anything other than external walls for insulation value? Medium density better for fixing to, sound absorption and fine to go off slab.

I suppose they are lighter for the poor Brickie!

Edited by jfb
  • Like 1

Our block layers hated thermalites and were much happier when I specified medium density. Thermalites are much more prone to cracking than medium density, especially around openings and reveals. And they are ridiculously absorbent and I think this makes them hard to lay, within a few minutes of laying a mortar bed along a course it's started to stiffen before you've had a chance to lay the blocks on top. You have to pirme the edges of the blocks with water as you go to try and control the suction. And in warm weather the water can be pulled out of the mortar bed very rapidly, before it's had time to cure properly. Also, they are a beast to wet plaster, requiring copious priming with PVA to kill the suction. As above, medium density are going to create a better sound barrier and are much nicer to fix to. The only one who grumbles about medium density is the poor labourer who has to haul them up the scaffold all day! I'd use them everywhere, a small increment to insulation layer will offset any lost thermal performance.

No benefit of thermalite as they are designed for  thermal performance. Mediums are cheap, easy to lay and quick. Make sure you ask them to point both sides too as nothing worse than a blockwork wall full of half filled perps

• Like 1