VAT - Service Disconnection

Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't spot in search.

I paid VAT for electrical move to temporary supply and for gas capping at the road as part of demolition process (full PP was already in place).  Should I have paid VAT or should I ask for replacement invoices and get VAT back, if possible?

As @Bitpipe says most of the comms from HMRC note ‘new supply’ but given that demolition is covered under zero rating you might be lucky with this. I would take a punt and ask for the invoices to be zero rated. It’ll only cost you the price of a stamp. 

@PeterStarck disconnected his services fairly recently. Not sure whether that was zero rated or not. 

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

@PeterStarck disconnected his services fairly recently. Not sure whether that was zero rated or not. 

Openreach disconnection was free.

UK Power Networks charged VAT and TBH it wasn't something I thought about, as it was after the VAT reclaim was submitted.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained... will ask the question but seeing as it's already been paid for I'm not overly hopeful.

Will advise either way once I hear; thanks as ever for the replies.

14 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

UK Power Networks charged VAT and TBH it wasn't something I thought about, as it was after the VAT reclaim was submitted.

You could still ask for the invoice to be zero rated I suspect if you can be bothered ... 

• Like 1

I tried when doing my demolition in 2015, both gas and electric said no as it was related to existing services, not new supply.

Always worth a punt though.

Note that if you route your supply & meter to a kiosk and take the new house supply from there then you avoid paying for a second supply move.

• Like 1

I’ve asked the suppliers so will let you all know the responses I get.  It doesn’t make sense as it has to be done to enable demolition, thus building new house but would be expensive fighting this with HMRC for a couple of hundred quid in gain...

On 24/01/2019 at 08:48, PeterStarck said:

VAT reclaim's in the past. Working on other things now. Onwards and upwards :).

Just received the credit to my account, nothing to do with VAT reclaim process - give it a whirl!

You don’t ask, you don’t get ?

• Like 2