Are PV Panels worth the investment these days ?

Ballynoes

I was just wondering if PV panels were worth the investment.

Though I would ask those who have already.

I am planning to put an ASHP in which will run the underfloor heating.

But the feed in tariffs are not that good these days, so my investment will take quite some time to pay me back (not sure how long these days).

So the question is are they really worth it, brand new build so now would be the time to do it.

AND OR would I better off installing thermal solar for my hot water instead.

Thanks

All

I've seen circa 300 watt all black panels for about £100 recently. Someone on here recommended the site, which i'll post link to when I can find it.

I assume that a lot of roofers have experience laying them if not connecting them to mains etc. Would lots of roofers be able to just price their job based on them already being supplied but requiring fitment?

As @Declan52 says, but I would add that there is an additional saving with a new build by opting to install an in-roof PV system, as that way you save the cost of the roof covering over that area.  For us that was a significant cost saving, well over £2k, which made the PV investment a fair bit less, in effect.

It looks like there will be an export payment scheme in place when the FIT ends, much as there was before the FIT was introduced, so there will be some benefit over and above that from self-generation.

And also worth considering that a new scheme for the payment of feed in electricity from home generation is on the horizon. I don't believe details are yet public and I don't suspect it will be terribly generous but still worth considering combined with the other advice herein.

19 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

As @Declan52 says, but I would add that there is an additional saving with a new build by opting to install an in-roof PV system, as that way you save the cost of the roof covering over that area.  For us that was a significant cost saving, well over £2k, which made the PV investment a fair bit less, in effect.

Worth mentioning that savings are greater (effective cost of PV less) for more expensive roof coverings (slate etc) vs concrete tiles.

We paid £7k for our 12 panel in roof system in 2015, just squeezed onto the FIT before it got completely slashed at end of that year.

FIT payments are about £500, I'm obviously saving on energy usage but don't have any measurement in place to quantify that - My solar diverter to the immersions in my UVC have clocked up over 2000 KW since install in mid 2016.

All that said, I had to use the firm's MCS qualified installer & electrician but that requirement is gone if you don't need FIT so any competent roofer could do the trays and spark do the rest of the install. As Jeremy says, if you go in roof you save again on the roof coverings.

4 hours ago, Big Neil said:

I've seen circa 300 watt all black panels for about £100 recently. Someone on here recommended the site, which i'll post link to when I can find it.

Bimble Solar? Currently £140 per 300W black panel but it varies as the get different stock in.

Edited by Ed Davies

See my thread here

I have just installed a 4KW PV system using 4 year old second hand panels from Bimble and a new old stock inverter from ebay.  Total cost £1500 including the ground mount frame.

If it saves £300 of electrcity each year by self usage then it will have a 5 year payback time.  I will let you know how that works in practice.

As well as the usual generation meter, I will be installing my own export meter so I can actually measure how much I am able to self use and hence how much it has shaved from my bills.