Anyone used online 3D printing services

Gone West

Think I've sussed the facet issue by using the FACETRES command, upping from the default (think it was 0.1) to 10 makes the world of difference to the smoothness of the exported stl!

Just found 3DPRINT command too!

Edited by Onoff

3D printed, 2 piece handle to connect two Occulus Rift VR controllers together to make a Darth Maul style light sabre. Used for playing Beat Saber. They interlock with an m/f twist joint but I've backed it up with self amalgamating tape:

IMG-20200117-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.6ceacac3393072d66b3c9c1658c52cb1.jpeg

On Radio 4 today there was a story about Lego clubs where adults can go to de-stress. At the end of the piece the presenter asked the organiser of said clubs if there was anything else similar coming along and he said  "possibly something to do with 3D printing".

16 hours ago, Temp said:

On Radio 4 today there was a story about Lego clubs where adults can go to de-stress. At the end of the piece the presenter asked the organiser of said clubs if there was anything else similar coming along and he said  "possibly something to do with 3D printing".

Must be quite stressful waiting for your next Lego piece to print if you're building something...

We have a winner! Well, other than it's off white compared to the fridge paint. Albeit simplified from the original it's so much smoother etc than the previous print! Pity about the split in the seal...

20200118_213932.thumb.jpg.429c0d9ed8cbdb6c542ee0335331fe60.jpg

20200118_214006.thumb.jpg.469e0643d8d3b6ccd19e352de1507c54.jpg

The profile isn't a bad match either:

20200118_214020.thumb.jpg.1aa504f6076f1c5ab695afef5b5e9ed4.jpg

• Like 1

Evening, need some Fusion 360 help!

This is the .stp file of a VR game controller opened up in Fusion 360. It's from the maker's website. It's for the Oculus S:

unknown.png
It's not one piece but two, with an irregular nominal gap between them 0.3mm down to zero ('ish). In effect the join. Seems the actual controller the two halves are glued together.

What we want to do is create a solid cylinder, insert the "male" controller then subtract it from the cylinder leaving us with a "cup" in the end of the cylinder.

Because the controller isn't one entity we're having trouble. Almost wants the gap filling then the two halves along with the "fill" combining into one entity.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

If anyone does have any pointers to the above question then please fire away, it'd be good to know for the future. However, found this which we're hoping to graft onto the model for the earlier Oculus Rift controller:

I really MUST try and learn this Fusion 360 thing, my lad thinks I'm a bit of a Luddite for being stuck in the past using AutoCAD! (I can still teach him a few tricks though!) He's only been using it since 21st Dec ffs! ?

• 1 month later...

I've wondered why Wago don't have a range of them (or, if they do, then why they don't seem readily available).   I used some Wago copies that fit a DIN rail recently.  They did look really neat when mounted like this, and were a lot easier to use when held firmly inside a box.

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I've wondered why Wago don't have a range of them (or, if they do, then why they don't seem readily available).   I used some Wago copies that fit a DIN rail recently.  They did look really neat when mounted like this, and were a lot easier to use when held firmly inside a box.

The orange 222-500 holders like this? I always hanker after something else that is i) longer and ii) where you can pop them out individually rather than slide them along:

20200317_113200.thumb.jpg.4ca4f108270b87a4ac0d802fbf63ee07.jpg 

I wonder if these are fire retardant?

Edited by Onoff

On 20/01/2020 at 23:21, Onoff said:

Because the controller isn't one entity we're having trouble. Almost wants the gap filling then the two halves along with the "fill" combining into one entity.

Somehow I missed the original post. Normally when you perform an operation on something you have to select the bodies to perform it on. Doesn't it let you select both bodies?

I wondered if those of us with 3D printers could print ventilator parts? All I can find is a news story about a company in Italy that had printed some part for a hospital. 

17 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Thanks, the interesting stuff is in the comments at the bottom. Problems such as copyright, patents and the need for medical grade materials get mentioned. Several 3D printer farms have already offered to help.

Link looks interesting...

https://github.com/brentjackson/OpenRespirator/wiki

42 minutes ago, Temp said:

This look interesting. Its a manifold allowing four masks on one ventilator. Original paper published in 2015 in anticipation of a pandemic. No idea if it makes medical sense. Can't find the .stl anywhere.

https://file.scirp.org/Html/2-1750025_49209.htm#ref10

htmlimages_2-1750025x_644fbb6c-d9e9-4f8a-95c1-4ee26a91dc56.thumb.png.98c7af732cf82809a411c75bd588b27e.png

I would have thought essential to ensure positive pressure to each patient to prevent cross infection?

• Like 1

Just playing with a printed WAGO connector. My lad is writing a script to self generate the CAD files in whatever configuration. This is a 3+2+3+5. First was too tight, second too loose. This seems to hit the sweet spot with them clipping in and out just about right to the indents in the WAGOs.

20200318_051213.thumb.jpg.f327f55325bf0ce3295028c1c5540845.jpg

20200318_051228.thumb.jpg.870d092b1588939d28b68191f0580507.jpg

Double sided tape job probably to the top of the box to save drilling:

20200318_051430.thumb.jpg.7633c30cafdbd98a1b9fbb1c2b55faec.jpg

(First one to mention red sleeving catches the virus! I have literally hundreds of metres of the stuff to use up ? ). 

16 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Looks good, nice and neat.  Only snag is that it covers up the probe test slot, although that's not really a biggie (handy though, at times).

Yes, aware of that. Might adapt to include a test hole/slot.

9 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Easy enough to just unclip them if you ever need to poke a probe in the hole, though.  The neatness of having them tidied away outweighs easy access to the probe slot, IMHO.

Just had another look and one of the clips on the printed adapter clips into the test slot on the WAGO so a test hole in the adapter is a no go really. 

Just now, Onoff said:

Just had another look and one of the clips on the printed adapter clips into the test slot on the WAGO so a test hole in the adapter is a no go really. 

That's what I thought when I saw it, but only because I have a couple of 222s sat on my desk