Anyone used online 3D printing services

Gone West

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

I tried changing the suffix to .dwg then converting it to .dxf, with the intention of opening it in FreeCAD so that it could be exported as a .stl file but for some reason that didn't work either.  According to AutoDesk, all that should be needed to convert an autosave file to a .dwg should be to edit the suffix, but for some reason that doesn't seem to work.  I can't open .dwg files in the newer format, unfortunately, as my copy of AutoCAD is an older one.

Trueview allows you to convert a new .dwg to be read by an old package.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-convert-a-dwg-file-to-a-previous-format.html

53 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just tried it.  The good news is that it managed to  open and view your .sv$ file, I just renamed the file, changing the suffix to .dwg, and it opened up OK.  I also managed to convert the .dwg to .dxf, and that worked fine, too. with the .dxf being viewable.  The bad news is that I couldn't open the .dxf in FreeCAD, so wasn't able to export it as a .stl file...

Love to know why Truview is a 1.8Gb download, too.  Seems way OTT for a file viewer.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Just tried it.  The good news is that it managed to  open and view your .sv$ file, I just renamed the file, changing the suffix to .dwg, and it opened up OK.  I also managed to convert the .dwg to .dxf, and that worked fine, too. with the .dxf being viewable.  The bad news is that I couldn't open the .dxf in FreeCAD, so wasn't able to export it as a .stl file...

Love to know why Truview is a 1.8Gb download, too.  Seems way OTT for a file viewer.

I only have access to Draftsight at the moment. Interestingly that allows export as a .stl. I might try opening the AutoCAD 2010 .dwg in Draftsight then simply exporting as a .stl and send you that? Another option is from within Drafsight I save it to an earlier Autocad .dwg and or .dxf...

18 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I only have access to Draftsight at the moment. Interestingly that allows export as a .stl. I might try opening the AutoCAD 2010 .dwg in Draftsight then simply exporting as a .stl and send you that? Another option is from within Drafsight I save it to an earlier Autocad .dwg and or .dxf...

Worth a try.  I've found that drawing something up in AutoCAD, saving it as a .dxf, then importing it into FreeCAD, turning it into 3D and exporting it as a .stl works OK.  Bit cumbersome, but it means I can work in a programme I'm familiar with for most of the stuff, then just tweak it in FreeCAD (which hasn't got a great user interface, but is open source).

Just an update on that (scam clearly) Creality Ender 3D printer I attempted to order from Cogkart. Put in the hands of my credit card company now. Said they'll investigate and come back to me within 7-10 days.

22 hours ago, Onoff said:

Honestly, please don't waste your time and kit to this extent. I'm in no rush. We should have  a machine here come Christmas anyway!

Ok, if you change your mind and would like them printed just let me know.

The original stl had 4 components in it. I was able to load it into Fusion 360 and create separate stl files for each part allowing each to be printed separately and in different colours. The two larger parts will have print times of about 4 hours each and the smaller two around 10 - 20 mins.  If you would like the Fusion 360 file I created or the stl for the individual parts send me a PM with an email address.

Edited by Temp

42 minutes ago, Temp said:

Ok, if you change your mind and would like them printed just let me know.

The original stl had 4 components in it. I was able to load it into Fusion 360 and create separate stl files for each part allowing each to be printed separately and in different colours. The two larger parts will have print times of about 4 hours each and the smaller two around 10 - 20 mins.  If you would like the Fusion 360 file I created or the stl for the individual parts send me a PM with an email address.

Yes please, pm incoming! So all I need is Fusion 360 and a 3D printer?

Edit: Fusion 360 appears no longer free!

Edited by Onoff

On 03/11/2019 at 11:06, PeterW said:

That Balco doesn’t get great reviews. 

mates company do rapid prototyping and use the AnyCubic machines - they have the big ones but also have 3 or 4 of these attached to work stations as they rate them

ANYCUBIC I3 MEGA 3D Printer

Thanks. Looks like an AnyCubic is on the cards. Happy to go "bigger" than the I3 Mega, after all it is his 21st! Maybe the Chiron even:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANYCUBIC-Leveling-Extruder-400x400x450mm-Filament/dp/B07FTCZSXQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Is the Anycubic UK site on Amazon the best place to buy?

Cheers

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Thanks. Looks like an AnyCubic is on the cards. Happy to go "bigger" than the I3 Mega, after all it is his 21st! Maybe the Chiron even:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANYCUBIC-Leveling-Extruder-400x400x450mm-Filament/dp/B07FTCZSXQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Is the Anycubic UK site on Amazon the best place to buy?

Cheers

You can buy Anycubic printers direct from Anycubic - they usually ship quickly from their EU warehouse: https://www.anycubic.com/

The Chiron is currently $399, so a bit cheaper than Amazon.  I bought my Anycubic Photon directly from Anycubic, arrived within about 5 days, IIRC.

• Like 1

Brilliant!  Like to know how you did it, as I tried a few tricks to try and get the file into FreeCAD without luck.  .stl files from FreeCAD I know work fine, as I've printed a couple of dozen or so parts that way.  I'll print it off in the morning, if all goes well.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Brilliant!  Like to know how you did it, as I tried a few tricks to try and get the file into FreeCAD without luck.  .stl files from FreeCAD I know work fine, as I've printed a couple of dozen or so parts that way.  I'll print it off in the morning, if all goes well.

Create your solid in AutoCAD, a couple of circles in this case, extruded into cylinders then the smaller one subtracted from the larger one:

stage_001.JPG.4191420f67a500549496c949d1e44f6d.JPG

Render it to make it look pretty :)  (don't think this step is essential):

stage_002.JPG.94f47cda962ba24a9bcf764e741d21f7.JPG

File, Export, changing to an stl from the drop down menu with whatever destination folder you want:

stage_003.JPG.7b0572ceb0883517ab688d6fae7739d9.JPG

Simply click on the solid when prompted, it auto saves to what folder etc you've chosen:

stage_004.JPG.37887f1f64060ca8bf8b34e53892b622.JPG

In this case I saved to the Desktop:

stage_005.JPG.675db63ce0b493297e37793e951ae481.JPG

Open FreeCAD and Open the stl:

image.thumb.png.aae7ba2bb1d9cd1393a61585ebfd5879.png

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just thinking...maybe I don't even need to use FreeCAD...I'll send you the raw .stl I produced in AutoCAD to try.

If you send both, I can double check, but any .stl should work OK.  It only takes a few seconds to load an .stl file into the slicer and see if it looks OK.

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

If you send both, I can double check, but any .stl should work OK.  It only takes a few seconds to load an .stl file into the slicer and see if it looks OK.

Ta. Done so. I emailed you a FreeCAD file first...that was the AutoCAD stl imported into FreeCAD then saved in FreeCAD format. The last email I sent is the stl file straight from AutoCAD. 

I figured what I did wrong yesterday when trying to export the stl. I was trying to select the AutoCAD solid by drawing around with the selection tool. I should have simply clicked on the solid! 

Ignore the earlier batch of .dwgs and .dxfs.

Hopefully this'll save me having to learn a new CAD package!

14 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

They seem to have printed OK, just a small bit of "flash" where they were sat on the printer bed, but otherwise OK. 

P1010860.thumb.JPG.b9043c0f2cf5af7a752577d293b2d784.JPG

That's brilliant. Thanks very much. What's the material btw?

It's a generic white UV curing resin, this stuff:  https://technologyoutlet.co.uk/products/technologyoutlet-premium-3d-printer-resin?variant=12582237372528

I'm pretty sure it's an acrylic of some sort.  When cured it seems to behave very much like Perspex.

Should catch the post this afternoon, with luck.

18 hours ago, Onoff said:

Yes please, pm incoming! So all I need is Fusion 360 and a 3D printer?

Edit: Fusion 360 appears no longer free!

You need.. .

1) A CAD program like Fusion 360 (to do the design and export .stl files) and

2) A Slicer program like Cura (to turn the .stl files into gcode to send to the printer).

Both are still free. Fusion 360 recently changed their licenses but you can still get a free "Personal" license. 

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists

It doesn't come with telephone support but there are loads of free videos explaining how to use it.

Only other thing you might need is an SD memory card... It is possible to connect most printers directly to your computer by USB but I'm using a small SD card and USB card reader to transfer the gcode files as my printer is in another room.

Will email the files.

35 minutes ago, Temp said:

You need.. .

1) A CAD program like Fusion 360 (to do the design and export .stl files) and

2) A Slicer program like Cura (to turn the .stl files into gcode to send to the printer).

Both are still free. Fusion 360 recently changed their licenses but you can still get a free "Personal" license. 

https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360-for-hobbyists

It doesn't come with telephone support but there are loads of free videos explaining how to use it.

Only other thing you might need is an SD memory card... It is possible to connect most printers directly to your computer by USB but I'm using a small SD card and USB card reader to transfer the gcode files as my printer is in another room.

Will email the files.

Thanks. Looks like I can avoid Fusion 360 as I can model in AutoCAD and export as an .stl with good results as Jeremy has kindly confirmed with the printing.

Just now, Onoff said:

Thanks. Looks like I can avoid Fusion 360 as I can model in AutoCAD and export as an .stl with good results as Jeremy has kindly confirmed with the printing.

With a bit of luck you may be able to see the result tomorrow - managed to catch the post OK.  Looks to me as if directly exporting the .stl file from AutoCAD works just fine.

• Like 1

Bearing in mind what you said about printing "flat" I think, I modelled the little "stub axles" that poke out of the sides as an arch shape rather than cylinders...

Or could it have printed them as cylinders?

keyb_001.JPG

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Bearing in mind what you said about printing "flat" I think, I modelled the little "stub axles" that poke out of the sides as an arch shape rather than cylinders...

Or could it have printed them as cylinders?

keyb_001.JPG

The files I got were like this, with the little pegs square:

fcad_001.JPG

The printer could have printed them as round pegs, just a matter of angling the piece up off the build plate and adding some supports.  This stuff gets done in the slicer (Cura is one such product, I use the slicer that came bundled with the Photon).  Most slicer programmes seem able to rotate parts, add supports, add a printing base, etc, either automatically or manually.  The only slight downside of using supports is that they leave little marks on the print, rather like the sprue marks on an Airfix kit.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

The files I got were like this, with the little pegs square:

fcad_001.JPG

The printer could have printed them as round pegs, just a matter of angling the piece up off the build plate and adding some supports.  This stuff gets done in the slicer (Cura is one such product, I use the slicer that came bundled with the Photon).  Most slicer programmes seem able to rotate parts, add supports, add a printing base, etc, either automatically or manually.  The only slight downside of using supports is that they leave little marks on the print, rather like the sprue marks on an Airfix kit.

Interesting...the conversion to .stl has maybe "lost" the radiused edges of the original model?

Just now, Onoff said:

Interesting...the conversion to .stl has maybe "lost" the radiused edges of the original model?

May be, I've seen a few odd things happen, but nothing quite as clear cut as this.  Hopefully you can just file the corners off the pegs to get them to fit.