Anyone used online 3D printing services

Gone West

12 minutes ago, Temp said:

The only address i could find on their web site is a return address and that's in the USA. 

Yep, saw that. Ah well, let's see what happens. Will of course update.

Interesting ref my £59.95 3D printer. The "sale" seems perpetually "on". Go to the site and there'll be "only 6 left with 289 watching". The next day it'll be "11 left with 144 watching ".

They haven't taken the money.....yet.

33 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Interesting ref my £59.95 3D printer. The "sale" seems perpetually "on". Go to the site and there'll be "only 6 left with 289 watching". The next day it'll be "11 left with 144 watching ".

They haven't taken the money.....yet.

Just tried, it seems the site just starts the sale timer as soon as you enter it.  I'm struggling to see how the scam works, though.  Credit card companies are pretty good at withdrawing payment facilities from dodgy sites, and if your payment hasn't been taken that suggests the payment mechanism may not be working, so how do they get any money?

Could be just a way of harvesting personal data, I suppose.

50 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Just tried, it seems the site just starts the sale timer as soon as you enter it.  I'm struggling to see how the scam works, though.  Credit card companies are pretty good at withdrawing payment facilities from dodgy sites, and if your payment hasn't been taken that suggests the payment mechanism may not be working, so how do they get any money?

Could be just a way of harvesting personal data, I suppose.

Or, hope against hope, that it's a genuine site and they don't take the money until the goods are shipped!  ?

This machine (Snapmaker 2.0) doesn't even appear to be available yet..
https://cogkart.com/products/printer-2-0

"£59.95"

Manufacturers web site..

"Snapmaker 20. is the Most Funded Technology Project on Kickstarter history"

https://shop.snapmaker.com/collections/machines/products/snapmaker-2-0-modular-3-in-1-3d-printers

"Preorder"

"$999" (down from $1499)

"Your order will be shipped in March, 2020."

I would look up the rules for doing a credit card charge back. You probably have to give them time to deliver but there may also be a time limit on doing a charge back. Best not let one exceed the other.

I noticed that although they list Paypal (as an option at the bottom of most pages) if you go to checkout there only seems to be an option to pay by credit card. So it's possible they are just harvesting credit card details and addresses? Keep an eye on your credit card statements!

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Temp said:

I noticed that although they list Paypal (as an option at the bottom of most pages) if you go to checkout there only seems to be an option to pay by credit card. So it's possible they are just harvesting credit card details and addresses? Keep an eye on your credit card statements!

This sounds like a possible way that their scam works.  I was struggling to work out how they could benefit if the credit card companies were refusing to handle their payments, but I guess it may well be possible to just use their website as a "man in the middle" data collection scam.

52 minutes ago, Temp said:

I would look up the rules for doing a credit card charge back. You probably have to give them time to deliver but there may also be a time limit on doing a charge back. Best not let one exceed the other.

Not sure on the best course of action...get the card replaced pronto?

> @Onoff

I have found a 3d-print sculpture in honour of @onoff's avatar. Never met the man himself, so cannot comment on whether it is a selfie - but I bet he likes donuts. Quite interesting how from the front it looks aspirational, whils from the side it suddenly becomes a traffic warden. It may be the colours.I am not aware that this has been printed yet; presumably it will take some processing.

The title is "My Precious". Obviously.

When the machine arrives you can make one ?.

onoff-container_chubby-gollum-3d-printing-204983.jpg.5c9821eeab35747f295c8ae548265568.jpg

Credit: https://pinshape.com/items/45627-3d-printed-chubby-gollum

onoff-chubby-gollum-3d-model-stl.thumb.jpg.9b18281cbeb2fb06a732890acf436fd8.jpg

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Temp said:

This machine (Snapmaker 2.0) doesn't even appear to be available yet..
https://cogkart.com/products/printer-2-0

"£59.95"

Manufacturers web site..

"Snapmaker 20. is the Most Funded Technology Project on Kickstarter history"

https://shop.snapmaker.com/collections/machines/products/snapmaker-2-0-modular-3-in-1-3d-printers

"Preorder"

"$999" (down from $1499)

"Your order will be shipped in March, 2020."

I have just taken a quick look at the site (cogkart) and i would recomend cancelling your card.  Its difficult to tell with just a quick look however the site apears to have have had various pages (T&Cs, data privacy, etc) cloned from other sites (there are various errors).  Plus the language is very poor.  Plus they are very vague over delivery information. FInally coupled with mad low prices for products not yet shipping....  BTW i work for a cyber security coy, ime not very technical but i know what to look out for.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Found what I think a 3D printed adapter that will allow me to use my 18V Makita batteries on, for a start this Aldi 20V Ferrex multi tool I bought for the princely sum of £7.95 in the clearance section. All in German. I need to buy a 2Ah Ferrex battery to scrounge the contacts from:

"Die Kontakte im Adapter stammen aus einem 2.0Ah Ferrexakku"

https://www.tinkercad.com/things/fKCaQO3vZn2-makita-18v-ferrexaldi-20v-adapter

I really must contact my bank as I'm clearly not getting that (what was now clearly) "too good to be true" 3D printer I ordered from cogkart.CON ? have contacted the seller a couple of times with no response.

On the back of my ill fated attempt to purchase a cheapo 3D printer from Cogkart SWMBO informs me that my eldest would like one for himself. This'll be a 21st birthday/Xmas present (21st & 25th Dec respectively). 

So, what to buy? Looking for an out of the box,  turn key solution. Thinking up to £300.

How about this Aldi one?

https://www.aldi.co.uk/balco-3d-printer/p/086887240233900

Any suggestions gratefully received!

Cheers

My Anycubic Photon seems very well made.  Produces very high quality prints, but has a limited build volume and, being a resin printer, it's a bit smelly and messy to use.  It's hard to tell the difference between the prints it produces and an injection moulded part though, as there are virtually no 3D printing artefacts.

678941529_3Dtest2.thumb.JPG.05c5bec55de3772368844be250ddb034.JPG

• Like 1

Have a look to see if there is a video on YouTube explaining the advantages and disadvantages of resin vs filament printers. 

Mine is a cheap filament printer - the parts it produces are pretty strong but it can be very slow to print even medium size objects. I spend quite a bit of time optimising the design to reduce print time. It's also near impossible to print objects like the lattice cube that @Jeremy Harris has done above. I get issues with distortion that causes the print head to knock into previously printed layers. I could probably solve it by slowing down print speeds but I don't have the patience.

• Like 1

Just now, Temp said:

Have a look to see if there is a video on YouTube explaining the advantages and disadvantages of resin vs filament printers. 

Mine is a cheap filament printer - the parts it produces are pretty strong but it can be very slow to print even medium size objects. I spend quite a bit of time optimising the design to reduce print time. It's also near impossible to print objects like the lattice cube that @Jeremy Harris has done above. I get issues with distortion that causes the print head to knock into previously printed layers. I could probably solve it by slowing down print speeds but I don't have the patience.

Ta. Haven't forgotten about trying those headphone repair bits btw...just haven't gotten around to it!

On 03/11/2019 at 11:11, Jeremy Harris said:

My Anycubic Photon seems very well made.  Produces very high quality prints, but has a limited build volume and, being a resin printer, it's a bit smelly and messy to use.  It's hard to tell the difference between the prints it produces and an injection moulded part though, as there are virtually no 3D printing artefacts.

678941529_3Dtest2.thumb.JPG.05c5bec55de3772368844be250ddb034.JPG

Why specifically did you go for a resin printer?

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Why specifically did you go for a resin printer?

Mainly for the print quality, but also because of the low price. 

However, the small build volume is an issue, especially the maximum width (fore and aft, looking at the printer).  The resin smell and messiness are also a nuisance; I run mine in the garage because of this.

I can get around some of the build volume limitations by printing things in sections, then glueing them together later (superglue seems to work very well for this).  This can also speed up prints, as print time is determined only by the height of the object above the bed, not any other dimension.

It very much depends on what you want to print as to what type of printer you get.  If you want to print fairly large things, and surface finish isn't that important, then an FDM printer might be the one to go for.  If print size isn't that important, but surface finish is, then a DLP resin printer might be the best bet.  If the printer is to be used indoors, though, then a resin printer really needs a workspace where parts can be washed free from resin residue with IPA, and that has good ventilation, because of the smell.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Harris said:

It very much depends on what you want to print as to what type of printer you get.

Cordless tool battery adapters if I get my way! Can't see the finish needs to be perfect.

Just now, Onoff said:

Cordless tool battery adapters if I get my way! Can't see the finish needs to be perfect.

I did look at the link you posted to those, to see if they would fit my printer, but it would have been fiddly to slice the parts into sections to get it to fit, so I didn't offer to print it for you, I'm afraid.

This gives an idea of what you can do with glueing separate parts together, my (still unfinished) walk-the-plank mousetrap mechanism:

image.thumb.png.973fc789b788388b531a2e33a15efd98.png