20mm quartz

Shell820810

We had assumed 30mm quartz but there is increasing noise about 20mm.  Its more "modern".  My main inclination towards it would be the 20-25% reduction in material cost.  Any experience with it.  Do you think it looks skimpy in a kitchen?  Do you think it is as durable as 30mm?

e3511165d97bbd1539dbef07ae616139.jpg

265f8adc0164040e6052f5fce939a23e.jpg

Most of the cost in worktops is the cutting and polishing - there isn't a huge material variance so it's not a true economic choice. 

I've also heard that the thinner ones need a strong and perfectly level sub base on the cabinets to stop any stress cracking 

I know what you mean about the look. I'm surprised how good the really thin worktops look in the kitchen showrooms - it must only be the same carcass faced chipboard but looks really modern.

Went with 30mm quartz though, with my wife it needs to be bombproof. Its a beautiful surface to DIY work on though like a granite surface table

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Most of the cost in worktops is the cutting and polishing - there isn't a huge material variance so it's not a true economic choice. 

I've also heard that the thinner ones need a strong and perfectly level sub base on the cabinets to stop any stress cracking 

its the stress cracking and the likes that concerns me.

Pricewise, my quote reduced from 3650 to 3100.

Looking at that second photo, it might look nice not to have a window board and have the upstand continue up to the window on the 'sill'. Avoid that claggy gap between the worktop and the underside of the board.

Yea that's an installed price. I think we have almost 9m2, we need 4 slabs.

Just got another price of 3k for sinquastone 30mm to same spec.

We have windows flush with worktop so sills and worktop is one piece which is putting the price up a bit. There's a bit of wastage.

Example in photo. Easier to get window closed again when he opens it far to wide for my reach!

deep-sill-03.jpg

Edited by Shell820810

We where in the same boat but in the end went for the 30mm. Mainly due to having an overhang on the island that I would have been worried about if it was the thinner worktop. 

Did you get a price from elite granite in Cookstown, they where the cheapest when I got mine.

56 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

We where in the same boat but in the end went for the 30mm. Mainly due to having an overhang on the island that I would have been worried about if it was the thinner worktop. 

Did you get a price from elite granite in Cookstown, they where the cheapest when I got mine.

They are quoting me for an unbranded quartz at 2.8k, approx 500 more for low end silestone.

Lamont are actually most competitive at the minute. 

We also have the island overhang which I was also concerned about. I am swaying towards the sinquastone 30mm, with 20mm upstands and splashback

6 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

Glad I went with quartz, so easy to clean esp with kids. I think mine was silestone brand what that means I am not sure, probably all the same.

I think silestone is the market leader, or one of. Very reputable. But we have to shave the £££ where we can so if that means a mid range brand then so be it. I want a white worktop, and under mounted sinks, the brand and the colour arent overly important to me as long as we avoid the low quality chinese imports.

I love the thinner look, it does look much more modern. We're going for an extreme version of this scenario, ours are a 5mm ceramic! Saw them in a showroom and fell in love with the material. Heatproof, scratchproof, totally impervious. Excellent for the careless cook like myself :)

Love the colour of your cabinets by the way, gorgeous and very restful. 

We had 30mm granite before and now we have 20mm granite. Pricing up the new place 20mm Silestone is around 20% cheaper. I think it looks sleeker and more modern also so it is a win win.

Another good way to say is eliminate the drainage grooves. We have them today and they just get full of dirt and need to be constantly cleaned. Most stuff goes in the dishwasher and you can always get a rack or lay down a dishtowel if you are drying something. Again it looks a lot neater. You could save £200.

1 hour ago, divorcingjack said:

I love the thinner look, it does look much more modern. We're going for an extreme version of this scenario, ours are a 5mm ceramic! Saw them in a showroom and fell in love with the material. Heatproof, scratchproof, totally impervious. Excellent for the careless cook like myself :)

Love the colour of your cabinets by the way, gorgeous and very restful. 

Please upload some images ! :)  Not heard of that before, and would make for excellent reading. B|

The one we saw was called Neolith, by TheSize. Spanish, I believe. I think there's a couple of manufacturers that do a similar thing. If you're made of money, you can use it for wall panelling and flooring too! I'll see if I can find the video that I saw initially. It's probably uneconomic if you've a lot of worktop space, but we're just using one slab to do an island, they guy said it's approx 10-15% over a silestone type material and approx level with high quality granite. 

vfrdave - we first saw it in a showroom in Belfast, so I wonder if it was the same company? 

nickfromwales - unfortunately the only images we have are of a muddy square and an worryingly empty bank account just now :) Not started yet, but we tried to choose everything now. 

https://youtu.be/UOV2-8RaOVM

I seen a 20mm quartz top where they put 12mm hdf under the quartz. It was stepped back a few mm and painted to match the top so you couldn't see it. Gave the impression that it was much thicker but also a shadow detail which was nice.  Wouldn't work on the overhang on the island though as you would notice it there.

My sister went to total opposite direction.  She has 70mm granite, so its effectively 2 35mm sheets, the bottom isn't the full way back just the first few inches to save money.

I think thinner would be better.  Looks much sleeker.

My wife wants chunky looking tops in the new place so its silestone with the thick edge build up as people mentioned. It is considerably more expensive and in my opinion doesn't look as good. However, sometimes you have to do your bit for marital harmony. After all I'm the one who wanted to build a house!

Went to a few showrooms today, we can get down to 2.5k with 20mm sinquastone. 300mm overhang is the max in 20mm. Below are two different 20mm worktops, one of which is next to a 30mm. I don't think in 3 months time I will notice the difference enough to warrant the £500 difference. It breaks my heart to put that kind of money into a worktop as it is, so I think this is somewhere we can claw back a bit.

IMG_20160811_160409.jpg

IMG_20160811_132858.jpg

IMG_20160811_132836.jpg

Edited by Shell820810