20mm quartz

Shell820810

My mother keeps saying my wife should get to pick the kitchen as she will be the one who spends most time in it.  Even though i do 90% of the cooking.

But we are going for a more traditional look i think.  Painted In-frame, main kitchen in cream and the island will be a light grey.  Black worktops.

I'm thinking of 40mm granite but i haven't got prices yet.  As my father is doing the kitchen, the granite will likely be the most expensive part.

2 hours ago, Crofter said:

Out of curiosity, what kitchen is this? I'm trying to persuade SWMBO that wood isn't dead yet.

This is from google, but it actually made me take a second look.  Its really nice, though i think its a combination of things.  the light worktop, the lack of wall units keep it contemporary.  

Yes I know wall units are 'out' at the moment. But with a tiny house (I have a 12ft wall to fit an entire kitchen into) I don't think I can afford the luxury of not having wall units. Unless I just don't have any actual food and the kitchen is strictly for display purposes only...

I would recommend sticking with silestone, ceasarstone or compaq (all named brands) where  possible. Quartz is more or less the same till things go wrong and thats when the other brands out there dont want to know. Silestone is expensive but they do have good customer service to back it up. A lot of the unbranded quartz comes from China, Turkey and Egypt and 90% of it is fine. Its the remain 10% that you need to be worried about. Personally, I dont think the saving is worth it.

As far as 20 and 30mm go, 30mm is more expensive (its 50% more material after all) but for all practical purposes, there is no difference between the two. Overhangs of up to 300mm are fine with 20mm worktop and you cant go much bigger on the 30mm anyways if you have cutouts on the same piece.

Ceramic is a superb product and there are about 3 major players in the market, Neolith, Lapitec and Dekton. Lapitec has been around longest and is very good but lacking a wide variety of colour and texture options. Neolith has great colours and textures but their service isnt the best. Dekton is backed by Cosentino, the company behind Silestone. Its been around about 3 years and there have been issues with the product but in time they will become the market leader - there is little doubt about that.