Before I break my legs, some advice please...

ToughButterCup

Whats the existing ground floor to first floor rise?

6x2 and 8x2 as in rough sawn or treated with the rounded edges like mine in the pics?

Is it actually 195x45 & 145x45?

Edited by Onoff

We also need some temporary stairs. Anyone got any to sell (not burn!) near to South Oxon?

also have considered pallets / building our own. But so many other jobs to do that have to focus on those jobs instead. Got to get the scaffold stairs down soon to fit the front door, telescopic pocket door and a stud wall (they are in the way of progress). But they have meant we have been able to first fix upstairs a lot more easily and haven’t been lugging kit up ladders as much as we might have been. Still got 6 sheets of ply to cut and fit this weekend and more insulation to the stud walls so will be grateful for stairs......

@recoveringacademic I have been ill for the last month (and have effectively spent my stairs budget on prescription medicines) and it has definitely hampered progress on the house. But am starting to feel better and it is joyous. Imagine if you got injured......soooo frustrating and best avoided IMO. 

Either a couple of lengths of 6*2,  a few hrs work with a saw and hammer or buy a cheap set which going by what's above you won't be short of customers when you are finished with them. 

What do you value most,  time or money.  Save money  going the  diy route or save time buying a cheap set. 

Just making a staircase for my shed, made out of salvaged  10x2 for the stringers (back of the stack at builders merchant) and oak whisky barrel lids for the treads (also free) , will be 6 steps @200mm risers then a small platform and another 4 steps @200mm. It’s only 600mm wide and goes up to a walkway between two mezzanine storage areas.  Should be installing them tomorrow or the day after. Cost £0 (but I did wear out a set of planer blades cleaning up the barrel lids..... time spent building it...... two days...... maybe three. But it was a great training exercise for when I have to build new stairs for the cottage. 

2CF9E70F-20A8-4B3C-B0DC-882BC77C815C.jpeg

4BABF15F-D5FB-4D18-8CD9-0A4E27E2DACE.jpeg

19D6B2D2-1769-490F-8737-4B47FF1953A9.jpeg

Nothing ventured nothing gained, go for it. You’ll have a blast. If it doesn’t work, all it has cost you is time and maybe some pride.

A little bit of unused ply/osb to step on, unused carpet and you’ll have the making of a permanent staircase ?

If it works (I’m sure it will), then you have gained a staircase and others have gained easy access to the second floor.

Good luck, look forward to seeing them.

Edited by craig

On 18/01/2019 at 09:15, recoveringacademic said:

So a flexible set of 'stairs' is an attractive idea.

Are pallet stairs flexible when you realise your workflow needs them out of the way for something.....since fitting my temporary Howden’s £124 stairs (which took 15minutes) I’ve removed and replaced them twice, taking less than 10 minutes each time.