Before I break my legs, some advice please...

ToughButterCup

Define acceptable. Risking your neck ain’t an acceptable risk IMO ?. Use the wood on another day. Have a look on fleabay or gumtree to see if someone is getting rid of an old one although the transport might be a PITA. 

40 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

I need some temporary stairs. And I have a huge pile of pallets. See where this is going yet? 

And then I bumped into this.

And I have enough lead in my pencil to do it this weekend . But caution suggests I ask the commentariat for comment  first

Bloody hell Ian 

Just burnt ours 

As Jacks says It’s not worth the hassle 100 quid for a straight flight 

Easy to move out of the way 

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

Define acceptable. [...]

Wot Debbie says. 

Risk appetite varies, and since I'm operating outside CDM2015  (because this is pure DIY - nobody else will be using then)  and I have a huge incentive to stay fit, I expect the risk to be as low as  using  normal stairs or lower.

@nod well I won't be burning mine.... ?

Google "pallet stairs" & "pallet wood stairs" if you're really that tight & time short, you'll come up with gems like this:

d10aa4e98f3246d0517852f1d3a97b3d.jpg.774dd1ed27528bb6da41cd05d5696747.jpg

Me being me I'd knock up a simple jig to suit my router and make some. These were cut down from a full flight I made.

SAM_5779

SAM_5780

SAM_5778

You could though likely sell on a bought pair once finished with.

Spiral? :)

20160724_192051[1]

20160724_192201[1]

If they are the heavy duty Euro Pallets - all the same size - it might be doable by stacking 2 per tread, fastening with long timber screws and supporting mid way from the ground.

This construction would weigh about 400Kg and represent a significant trip and fire hazard.

33 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

You mean you made them from CLS and ply?

No, i bought two lengths of 8 x 2 for the strings and then made the steps out 6 x 2. If the wood is bent, warped twisted I always get the price reduced and cut it up and use it in small pieces. When I dismantle them will use wood for shelving in the garage

Stacked pellets......aka a Fireworks Night bonfire ready to happen as alluded to above. A LOT of dry wood with a lot of air gaps to fan any flames.

I still might have the CAD drawing for the jig but it's router specific. 

Thanks @Pete and @PeterStarck.

There's a balance to be held between stairs and ladders. I'm happy with either (or both). The motivation for this post came from meeting one of the people who regularly walk-in past our build. He isn't the fittest guy in the world, but he is intensely interested in what's going on. And always contributes sensible ideas. There's no way he can manage a ladder.

And it won't be long before I will be wanting to walk upstairs with kit in my arms - i.e. hands free.

There is also a simple design driver (restriction). The stairs go past the top of the wall that supports the staircase. And quite where they finish is , as yet, undefined. Hmmmmmm, yeah, I know.....

So a flexible set of 'stairs' is an attractive idea. Flexibility must not compromise safety. I've quite a bit of re-usable 8 by 2 and 6 by 2 knocking around, and too many pallets to ignore.

I feel some tooth-sucking  coming on while finishing the mezzanine today. (the one where I made a 30 mm mistake  on Thursday)

• Like 1