Amazing spaces

ProDave

So happy to be able to live on site this time round in our current house.

Last time we had a 28ft x 10ft, static in the garden which Peter and I lived in with the 5 cats.  We rented the cheapest house we could find in the town which the 2 kids stayed in (17 and 19 at the time) plus the 19 year old’s girlfriend. 

The split living was decided upon because we couldn’t find a house where we could take the cats safely - I was terrified they would have got run over anywhere in a town, and we couldn’t all fit in the caravan.

We moved into the caravan 1st Feb and moved out 30th Oct. Both dates it was -4 overnight. 

The house we moved into had no working heating but upstairs just needed decorating, downstairs was a complete building site with no electric, lighting and the floor was the concrete raft.

it will be a luxury to finish this house completely before moving intrusion time round.

We then have to work out how to trundle the currrent house down to the end of our plot (it breaks in two) and hide it behind the stable until building control have signed off the build.

55 minutes ago, Tosh said:

... And then of course you have to put a sign up 'don't come knocking when the caravan's a rocking' ?

There are some big advantages to a caravan with the living room in the middle and a bedroom at each end.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There are some big advantages to a caravan with the living room in the middle and a bedroom at each end.

I was always told that the bedhead has to be at the end and not the side to prevent the telltale rocking ?

On 17/01/2019 at 20:26, ProDave said:

So:

Is even legally towable in the UK in it's original form?

How much does it weigh now with the stone worktops?  Will the chassis and axles even take that extra load (there is a reason caravans are mostly built of very thin plywood) and if it is legally, will it tow without falling apart? just what do they tow it with?

And where do they propose to live in this mobile home?

Oh and they built a cot and activity wall for the baby. What abour when he grows up and wants a proper bed and his own bedroom?

This one must get the prize for silliest idea yet?

1 Interesting regs question. Probably yes if it was from here. OTherwise it will,be down to our admirably clear towing laws, which have been inherited from God Knows Where and homogenised then separated like a rotten soufflé. 

2 A Silver Streak is about 1.3 tons naked, so it may be towable with an appropriate Tonka Tank. IF they set up as a carnival attraction could they get a Showmen's license and have another one on the back?

3 That is a good one. I believe they are more lenient in Scotland ?. AT least it is silver not fridge-white.  *

4 Refit it?

5 Could not possibly comment.

F

(*) I am now going out for the rest of the morning.

Edited by Ferdinand

Towing it with a car seems possible, as I'm guessing that it may have ended up around 2 tonnes when completed, and that's well within the towing capacity of some of the larger SUVs and 4 x 4s.  Something like a VW Tuareg can tow 3.5 tonnes, and I doubt that this project ended up that heavy.  Even a Ford Mondeo estate will tow 2.2 tonnes, which might be OK.

4 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Towing it with a car seems possible, as I'm guessing that it may have ended up around 2 tonnes when completed, and that's well within the towing capacity of some of the larger SUVs and 4 x 4s.  Something like a VW Tuareg can tow 3.5 tonnes, and I doubt that this project ended up that heavy.  Even a Ford Mondeo estate will tow 2.2 tonnes, which might be OK.

It was the fact they fitted a probably heavy wood burning stove, and stone kitchen worktops, which are hardly in keeping with the lightweight ethos of a caravan and could well make it too heavy for the original suspension, and too heavy for a normal tow car.

I also get the impression US caravans are designed to put a lot more load on the tow ball than the average UK car can handle. Though I expect the balance will have changed dramatically in the refit.

3 hours ago, ProDave said:

It was the fact they fitted a probably heavy wood burning stove, and stone kitchen worktops, which are hardly in keeping with the lightweight ethos of a caravan and could well make it too heavy for the original suspension, and too heavy for a normal tow car.

I also get the impression US caravans are designed to put a lot more load on the tow ball than the average UK car can handle. Though I expect the balance will have changed dramatically in the refit.

This is Generation Whatever-It-Is-Called, and Internal Consistency does not apply. :ph34r:

See for example, all the Starbucks Coffee drunk by people who campaign against Starbucks. Or the "Fair Trade" organisations who destroy local businesses here by working from a deliberately tax avoiding "charity" base (looking at you, OXFAM).

Or the "EAT Foundation" people telling us via the entire media last week that we are only allowed 14g a day of sausages and 29g of chicken, or the earth will fail and we are all going to dyeeeee. Turns out that the people behind it are hugely rich with a personal Business Jet in which they spend their time flying around the world running their hotel empire and hedonising. If they are living by their recommendations - fine; if not, they are a waste of space.

To be fair they do seem a little spaced out; this was in the Antibes - a few years after 200+ guests were flown to Marrakesh from Norway for the wedding reception.

2_2a8cf20a-63ad-4138-85d5-1a5f26a2a15fJP

Or any Green Celeb who spend their time flying around in Business Class. It is now an entire generation since video conferencing became a viable alternative, and if you are taking a stance there is no excuse.

For me these days, the first test is whether someone demonstrably lives by their declared values. If they do not, I am not interested.

Middle-Aged Grump of Nottinghamshire.

Edited by Ferdinand
Reference to Occupidiots removed for non-political reasons.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

This is Generation Whatever-It-Is-Called, and Internal Consistency does not apply. :ph34r:

Middle-Aged Grump of Nottinghamshire.

Saw this on another  forum, a CV from a "Communication Expert", applying for a new job:

'My current role is leading Xxxxxxxxxx storytellers in the Communications and Content team. This includes driving the content powerhouse for the company, defining and developing the customer value proposition narrative....'

Might be just me, but all that content communicates to me is that the writer of it is a buzzword tosspot...

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Saw this on another  forum, a CV from a "Communication Expert", applying for a new job:

Might be just me, but all that content communicates to me is that the writer of it is a buzzword tosspot...

Otherwise known as w**kword bingo where I work. With some people in the room you can get a full house inside 10 minutes ?

• Like 1

This weeks episode again shows a lack of understanding of what you are doing.

A re fit of a narrowboat. Except they added an enclosed "wheelhouse" on the back where there is normally an open stern. Okay so far but they made the wheelhouse about 2ft taller than the rest of the boat.

That will work well until they meet the first low bridge or tunnel.  There is a reason why narrowboats are the size and shape they are and all pretty much the same width and height.  Okay to build such structures but they must be collapsible.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ProDave said:

This weeks episode again shows a lack of understanding of what you are doing.

A re fit of a narrowboat. Except they added an enclosed "wheelhouse" on the back where there is normally an open stern. Okay so far but they made the wheelhouse about 2ft taller than the rest of the boat.

That will work well until they meet the first low bridge or tunnel.  There is a reason why narrowboats are the size and shape they are and all pretty much the same width and height.  Okay to build such structures but they must be collapsible.

presumably it would collapse quite rapidly in the circumstances ?.

What is approx 6 feet divided by 3 mph in seconds? 

3 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

presumably it would collapse quite rapidly in the circumstances ?.

What is approx 6 feet divided by 3 mph in seconds? 

I think his "extension" was made of plywood so it would quickly "get out of the way" without damaging the bridge / tunnel.

For anyone not familliar with narrowboats, some of the tunnels are quite low.  We took a hired NB through the Harecastle tunnel.  At one point, the tv aerial (freestanding thing on a 6" pole sat on top of the boat) was scraping the tunnel roof, and the helmsman at the back had to duck

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I think his "extension" was made of plywood so it would quickly "get out of the way" without damaging the bridge / tunnel.

For anyone not familliar with narrowboats, some of the tunnels are quite low.  We took a hired NB through the Harecastle tunnel.  At one point, the tv aerial (freestanding thing on a 6" pole sat on top of the boat) was scraping the tunnel roof, and the helmsman at the back had to duck

They always seem to be like tube trains 

On 19/01/2019 at 17:50, JSHarris said:

The modern job application process is a minefield of psychobabble. I do not know whether to blame the job hunters or the HR departments, I suspect the latter because the applicants are just responding to market demand.