Just another damn error...

I was glad I didn't do a final check  for level when I stopped working on the mezzanine joists last night. I would have had another really bad nights sleep.

Look at this.... this is how un-level  I managed to nail the joists hanger: no, the red laser line isn't disappearing to infinity, it's 30mm out at one end and 0 on the other - over 2 meters

20190117_104332.thumb.jpg.83b6b67b32079fcc98fa25bffa96a5d2.jpg

For those of you wondering what self-build does to you - it makes you tired enough to make significant - and sometimes costly- errors

All I had to do last night was

• recognise how tired I was
  • tack the joists in position with cramps and one or two nails
  • go home

But no, I had to hammer home 24 nails on the joist hanger with one end of the joist 30mm too low.

In the cold light of day it beggars belief .

The remedy?

Make a 2 meter long stealer piece (wedge) : half a day's work

and thank God for Debbie's Christmas cake.

20190117_104533.thumb.jpg.5eff07445f49e979d69eb6fbb62e75e5.jpg

At 10pm last night I was about to cut a hole in the only working foul drain on site to fit a boss and merge in the grey water drainage from the static caravan. Then I thought if I get this wrong it is back to bucket & chuck-it in the morning. I put my drill down, called it a day and slept well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

On the bright side, at least you are getting out there and doing it. I am really struggling to drag myself to the house atm. ?

Been there, know the feeling. I gave up bothering for a week or so until I felt like it. Guilt free, conscious decision not to go or try. Did things a liked including bugger all. Plus some vitamin B50 tablets helped. 

5 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I was glad I didn't do a final check  for level when I stopped working on the mezzanine joists last night. I would have had another really bad nights sleep.

Look at this.... this is how un-level  I managed to nail the joists hanger: no, the red laser line isn't disappearing to infinity, it's 30mm out at one end and 0 on the other - over 2 meters

For those of you wondering what self-build does to you - it makes you tired enough to make significant - and sometimes costly- errors

All I had to do last night was

• recognise how tired I was
  • tack the joists in position with cramps and one or two nails
  • go home

But no, I had to hammer home 24 nails on the joist hanger with one end of the joist 30mm too low.

In the cold light of day it beggars belief .

The remedy?

Make a 2 meter long stealer piece (wedge) : half a day's work

and thank God for Debbie's Christmas cake.

20190117_104533.thumb.jpg.5eff07445f49e979d69eb6fbb62e75e5.jpg

Done this too! 10 studs at 2570? no bother. wham bam. Huh? Eh? Oh.... 2750. 

12 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

Been there, know the feeling. I gave up bothering for a week or so until I felt like it. Guilt free, conscious decision not to go or try. Did things a liked including bugger all. Plus some vitamin B50 tablets helped. 

I'm hoping a couple of weeks skiing next week will revive my enthusiasm ??

• Like 1

23 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Or just pack the end of the support beam up by 30mm! Job done!

Edited by Triassic
Typo