Ground Floor Wetroom

Looking at using Impey Aqua Dec 4 former with a Altro floor and Bushboard Nuance panels for the walls. This will be in a MBC build and will therefore need to be recessed into the slab.

One of my concerns is finished floor level, the rest of the ground floor will be Karndean (allowed 6mm for this).

What recess should I allow in the slab for the tray and the Altro floor?

Are there any other considerations I need to thinking about?

Thanks

View From Above.jpg

We've just done a wet room style floor with electric UFH in our FF ensuite and the total build up was about 30mm including tile.

The Impey former we used was 22mm deep, same as the OSB deck that we cut out to locate it. We put 12mm ply under it to allow for the 6mm tile backer board, 3-4mm UFH wire and a coat of latex. Adhesive & tile on top.

If this is on your heated GF UFH slab then you wont need insulation boards or UFH so I'd guess have the former flush with the slab, so allow 22mm + the adhesive underneath, probably about 25mm recess.

The Impey tanking system will go on top (allow 1-2mm) and then tile and adhesive.

Nick will no doubt weigh in at this point :)

We have engineered oak flooring to the perimeter of each bathroom and this came up short even with underlay. The flooring guy laid a gentle ramp of screed to ensure that the wood meets the tile at the same level and we're using a low profile metal T bar trim to fill the gap. The effect is pretty seamless.

We also have Karndean in the basement and it needs a very flat surface (our non-power floated slab needed latex screed) - 6mm sound high for Karndean itself, ours was closer to 3mm and it's glued on so no real depth added by that.

Novice

We used the aqua grade former with liquid screed in rest of house.

The aqua grade can be adjusted easily to address any errors in the screed or finished floor level 

i made a major error in that my wife wanted large format tiles and in order to have a smooth transition from the tray we ended up with the wet-room floor about 15mm higher than planned

I would use small mosaic tiles in any future wet rooms as working out the level is tricky

Also used impey tanking which was easy but very very sticky so take time if using it to plan and make sure it fits before peeling off the backing

Martin

• Like 1