internal walls

If I wanted to build a house from wood in five years from now

I would buy 200% of what i needed now and season it ,pick the good stuff and then start the build + sell the rest .

I know a man who did that- 20 years ago -sort of .

got all his oak ,stored  for 3 years  then machined  it to sizes he needed and then fitted the house out with it ,floors and all wood work and doors and furniture etc .

he reckons it actually didn,t cost him much in the end cos what he didn,t use he sold very well as seasoned wood -but you need deep pockets for that game 

9 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

never seen such a biased scaremongering post as this before !!.

you involved in the campaign fear in brexit ?

I take it you don,t drive on motorway bridges due to liability of the concrete failing  or go inside any multi storey concrete structure .

do not even try to compare aviation wood with house building stuff --that again is biased as we are not talking about same thing .

you think that aviation wood supplies are anywhere comparable to construction wood !

I certainly would not use readily available construction for a load bearing member on an aircraft I was building or flying

I have never found 20  pieces cls  that are all straight --just not how it comes .

why do think that glulam has come about --cos they cannot get decent large section wood .

even look at joists and things made from engineered wood --not real wood .

It's an indisputable fact that concrete structures can and do fail, and that many houses, commercial buildings and concrete bridges have had to be repaired or even replaced because of this.  That's not scaremongering at all, it's just stating a plain fact.  I wish I had taken photos of the Cornish Unit PRC house that I lived in around 40 years ago, as they would illustrate the point well (just do a web search, you will find mention of Cornish Unit concrete failures I'm sure, as they were pretty common).

There's no difference in the inspection standards for structural timber between construction grading inspection and test and aircraft grading inspection and test.  Both use the same techniques.  Construction graded and aircraft graded timber will be assessed on the basis of species, density (often inferred from ring count), freedom from knots and shakes and strength. 

My local sawmill can supply really excellent timber, often locally grown, and every bit of timber I've bought from them has been first rate.  Timber from reliable sources like this can't be compared to some of the poor quality stuff that is sold by the DIY sheds, it's like comparing chalk and cheese.  The same goes for concrete.  Get a good supplier, do the pour with experienced and competent people, at a time when the weather is within curing limits, and the result is likely to be very good.  However, if any of those criteria are lacking, then there is a chance that the concrete may prematurely fail.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

ever seen such a biased scaremongering post as this before !!.

you involved in the campaign fear in brexit ?

ROFL. I strongly suggest you wind your neck in a little there. Jeremy is just stating that concrete isn't always as perfect as you may like to think. Let's all play nicely shall we ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Over the last 20 years here there is an endless list of bridges and buildings that have had to been repaired due to concrete cancer.  Due to either a bad pour,  bad mix or bad workmanship there where gaps left round the steel reinforcing which let air and water in and caused the steel to rot.  When it rots it expands and bursts lumps of concrete loose. Not exactly what you want in bridges and large buildings.  

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Over the last 20 years here there is an endless list of bridges and buildings that have had to been repaired due to concrete cancer.  Due to either a bad pour,  bad mix or bad workmanship there where gaps left round the steel reinforcing which let air and water in and caused the steel to rot.  When it rots it expands and bursts lumps of concrete loose. Not exactly what you want in bridges and large buildings.  

Orlit houses locally too...

6 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

o long term the actual co2 etc is probaly less than building from wood ,which will be replaced many  times . 

If you were building with green timber that was not processed + sourced on site then your argument would be more valid ,rather than kiln dried stuff which will probably have come from deepest russia or canada--cetratinly a long way cos most home grown wood is only good for chipboard /osb--which has lots of chemicals in glue and energy in in processing .

any way these interior walls for thermal mass --are they dry built from rock ?-if not you have concrete there  and your slab.

you could always build a "cobhouse".

Scotland has some excellent timber, which can be sourced in site, kiln dried, and visually strength graded.

eg this bloke sourced some local hardwood last year that he wrote about on Monday.

Scotland also has a brilliant line in slightly over-generalising giraffes ? .. as does elsewhere.

(Apols for over generalising in that last comment).

F

Edited by Ferdinand

5 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I wish I had taken photos of the Cornish Unit PRC house that I lived in around 40 years ago, as they would illustrate the point well (just do a web search, you will find mention of Cornish Unit concrete failures I'm sure, as they were pretty common).

The early Woolaway bungalows were notorious for concrete failures and virtually impossible to get a mortgage on.

On 17/01/2019 at 06:45, recoveringacademic said:

Cheap, fast, strong.

Well that was sort of my impression. I sort of thought that if you're building all your walls up anyway and that ICF seems a fairly fast system whilst o site, that whether structural stability is needed or not, might as well throw it up and pour away.

23 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Concrete intrinsically has a high embodied energy because of the processes needed to make the cement

Mentioned by name in another thread i think, but something like Cemfree seems an obvious choice. It's a cement substitute. GGBS basically

P.S. Bags me first two picks in the annual Buildhub cage fighting championship. I love the passion here!!!

3 hours ago, Big Neil said:

P.S. Bags me first two picks in the annual Buildhub cage fighting championship. I love the passion here!!!

VIdeo or it did not happen.

I think big snorkelling or worm charming are more our style.

Edited by Ferdinand