Construction timeline

IN relation to another thread on general build process, a quicker question here specifically about ICF. I'm reading with interest various ways people are going about theirs, just want to understand if the following is a reasonable option.

with slab down, assemble first course and pour. Assuming UFH pipes aren't in the slab, lay insulation for this, cover, staple pipes and attach to temp board. Have self levelling screed poured then when set, carry on with the build. HOw does that strike people?

Also, if you had a passive raft, could you get away with a much thinner insulation for the UFH in this scenario, say 25mm where if you had a suspended block and beam floor you might have 5 or 8 times that thickness?

Nope. 

If you go beam n block you want to keep the ufh pipes out of the way, otherwise you will struggle to put your propping system up with all the screws in the floor. Each  prop in the pic has 3 screws in it. D9599DAA-853D-466D-9054-4484876CC8C0.thumb.jpeg.6ed0a7e3cfc82686e004fae9246a00b0.jpeg

If you go for a slab your pipes for ufh will be in that, @willbish came up with a method of fitting a scaffolding board to the floor, screwed in carefully selected ares to not hit his pipes and then the props sit on that. I do believe, please correct me if I’m wrong. 

you Probably need to iron what method your going to use before you spend to much time looking into the finer points 

i spent a good few weeks looking at a passive slab, only to find out that my finished floor height would not allow the build up associated with a slab, we had one structural engineer suggesting that we lay one slab and then insulate and build another slab on top just to get the 750mm height increase we needed. 

We ended up with block n beam as that suited our site issues 

probably better to get ground surveys done and engineering to establish how you going to do it first. 

Sorry Russell. What i mean is if you have a passive slab COULD you not put the pipes in the slab but just lay them on top in the sawe way as you would with a beam and block floor. Irrespective this not being normal just wonder if it is an option

On 16/01/2019 at 13:10, Russell griffiths said:

@willbish came up with a method of fitting a scaffolding board to the floor, screwed in carefully selected ares to not hit his pipes and then the props sit on that. I do believe, please correct me if I’m wrong. 

Yep that's what I'm planning.

I have left an additional 75mm clear of UFH pipes around the internal leaf of ICF. I will fix a scaff board down and the fix prop to the board

There will be some fiddly areas to address such as corners where props overlap and the small porch area. I might just chuck down two layers of 18mm OSB in these areas.

On 16/01/2019 at 12:53, Big Neil said:

with slab down, assemble first course and pour. Assuming UFH pipes aren't in the slab, lay insulation for this, cover, staple pipes and attach to temp board. Have self levelling screed poured then when set, carry on with the build. HOw does that strike people? 

Seems a little barmy. I would have thought when you order the ICF you will take delivery of the whole quantity to build the house. Depending on your site, the best place to store this will be on your clean level slab.

Why pour the ICF after one course? If you are hiring a concrete pump and ordering ready mix less pour days as possible seems sensible. I will be pouring ICF in two lifts, one at just over 2.8m and then again at wall plate height with gable.