New Build Design

Good Afternoon folks!

Below is a copy of our plans that have just been submitted to planning. We would like to hear anything you think would cause issues or give advice for changing anything prior to getting the technical drawings done for build regs.

TIA

Capture2.thumb.PNG.0d5005c6aff0212260280b0c39d343ff.PNGCapture3.PNG.785e7db494cbbcfde0dbafbf2699bbe2.PNGCapture1.PNG.e84c967e6d68267bcb106c3bf2ba0ae2.PNGCapture.thumb.PNG.dfb82744a4eec14463a1c51cbfab5b40.PNG

Is it right that the front door is the other side of the house to the parking?

I am just thinking of the inevitable unloading of shopping to the kitchen........maybe through the back door / utility?

How are you going to actually use the house / garage / parking?

We had stepped levels between our kitchen / diner in our first planning application.  Removed them at the second stage because was causing additional construction costs and complications and we felt they removed flexibility if we ever needed to seat more people at an extended table.  Does your partition between kitchen and dining room go full height?

I really do wonder why it is still popular to include a garage within the fabric of the house.   If you price out the cost per m², then this is bloody expensive off-road parking -- especially as most people end up using it as an inefficiently laid out glory hole because of the hassle of getting a modern-sized car into a standard garage opening.  This is especially in your case where the turning circle for access doesn't even comply with highways guidelines.  My advice is to lose the garage and use the space for something more functional.   Modern cars don't really need garaging in the UK; using decent powered gates can provide secure and a lot more cost-effective off-street parking.

As @Weebles suggests: really consider losing the split levels. These are a real PITA for construction and will add to costs.  Also a big downer in terms of mobility access.  Yes, your site has a gradient, but any competent architect should be able to do the cut and fill calcs so that you can level the site at least covering the foundation area and parking.   (Extend this level area in front of the kitchen.  Even if you don't want to park here regularly, having this as overspill when friends and family are using BR 2 and 3 is really useful.)  This amount of moving soil and levelling within the site is cheap -- and a lot cheaper in terms of overall build costs.  It only starts to become expensive if you have to move a lot of soil and subsoil off site.

I see that you have a "wood store".  Why?  If you are planning a wood-stove then where are you going to fit it?  Your plans don't seem to facilitate one, or is that what is shown in the living room?  Wood stoves are very fashionable but IMO totally impractical for a new build conforming to decent build standards.  The minimum practical output of a wood-stove on tickover is about 3 kW.  This will rapidly overheat a room the size of your sitting room even if you are attempting to build to minimum compliance to current BRegs.  You or your architect need to do the heat calcs and consider the implications.   Also search this forum, as there are many topics discussing the pros and mostly cons of using a wood-stove.

Edited by TerryE

I like the entrance and hallway.  I would do 4 beds, 3 baths, level the site, lose the garage the woodburner and the steps on the ground floor.  Also get the bathrooms properly designed so that they look sleek, modern, hotel-like (unless you hate the look).  The kitchen should be the centre of the home but yours seems a bit disconnected.  Where will the big telly go?

55 minutes ago, TerryE said:

I really do wonder why it is still popular to include a garage within the fabric of the house.   If you price out the cost per m², then this is bloody expensive off-road parking -- especially as most people end up using it as an inefficiently laid out glory whole because of the hassle of getting a modern-sized car into a standard garage opening.  This is especially in your case where the turning circle for access doesn't even comply with highways guidelines.  My advice is to lose the garage and use the space for something more functional.   Modern cars don't really need garaging in the UK; using decent powered gates can provide secure and a lot more cost-effective off-street parking.
@Weebles

Ah yes, but looks like they're 911's so a nice carpeted garage and a tooth brush for detailing should be included IMO

Disagree with losing the garage, we had a garage attached to our last house so it was built as part of the house whereas this time we have permission for a detached garage which is not built and probably won’t be until we get more funds leaving us with the problem of nowhere to store anything, tools garden equipment etc. Really miss my garage even although the cars were never in it!