Staple gun - recommendations wanted

Triassic

I've probably had three or four hand staple guns and all have had their problems, from being very fussy about the type of staples used to just randomly jamming and being awkward to clear out.  A while ago I bought a cheap (around £40) air stapler and it's never once misfired or jammed, so I'd say go for one of those if you have access to compressed air.  By the same token I have an air nail gun, and that has never jammed either, unlike the Paslode guns the guys who put our cladding up were using, which seemed to need pretty regularly cleaning in order to keep them working reliably.

Mind you, I'm a big fan of air tools anyway, so may be biased.

2 hours ago, Triassic said:

I need a staple gun for my new build. In the past I’ve had a hand operated one which didn’t preform well.

Can anyone recommend a make/ model which they’ve found to be reliable and easy to use?

You need to buy a good quality hammer tacker mate otherwise it will jam and cause you no end of problems.

43 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

for stapling what exactly? A hammer tacker is a very handy bit of kit for the various external membranes.

Is for general stapling of membranes and other stuff, like fixing the ufh spreader plates in place.

I have got this Stanley, it’s VERY good and has worked faultlessly for over 2 years. I have dropped it of many a roof without a problem...... I have also got a hammer tacker but really don’t like using it, personal preference. 

A776F3EE-D4D9-4830-89DE-CE47E4016B23.jpeg

0B1621C1-9B12-45D8-841B-F24141EA141C.jpeg

• Thanks 2

I have a few, none of which is satisfactory. A little electric stapler/brad nailer which would probably be fine for furniture stuff running off mains but hardly tacks at all running off either my inverter generator or 1200W inverter - I assume it takes too large a pulse for the inverters to ramp up and give the necessary power. A little Powerfix (Lidl) one which would again be fine for furniture. An Arrow one bought from the local builder's merchant which looks appropriately chunky but usually doesn't drive the staple right in to membrane/OSB, though a quick tap with the hammer sorts that, but worse jams a lot and is a pain to take apart to unjam - have to take off a small nylock nut. Not a happy thing up scaffolding, wearing gloves in failing light.

So @Cpd's Stanley looks very tempting. OTOH, I'll need a second-fix nailer too fairly soon so a cordless brad nailer/stapler might be a better bet. I find that it's best to staple two handed with the Arrow stapler as otherwise squeezing the lever can pull the staple emitting bit away from the surface and suspect the same might be true of the Stanley. Not a problem in ideal circumstances but reaching into awkward corners, etc, can make that a bit tricky. So a one-handed electric one might be better. Still, the Stanley's quite cheap so worth having in the tool box, I suspect.

• 4 months later...
On 16/01/2019 at 08:42, Triassic said:

I need a staple gun for my new build. In the past I’ve had a hand operated one which didn’t preform well.

Can anyone recommend a make/ model which they’ve found to be reliable and easy to use?

Arrow HT50 Hammer Tacker. This is the only stapler I ever see the pro's with - and have one myself, far easier and better than the lever handle type designed for teachers to put paintings up in the classroom. 

https://www.orbitalfasteners.co.uk/en/products/arrow-ht50-hammer-tacker-arrht50p?utm_medium=google_shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwov3nBRDFARIsANgsdoFtxgl_pvZdPNQmb8U3M-Fh1d5TpZaSY6E7FQk6RB0YQ65gNBO7c9kaAsKQEALw_wcB

7 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

Arrow HT50 Hammer Tacker. This is the only stapler I ever see the pro's with…

Am I wrong in suspecting that hammer tackers need a bit of skill and practice to use accurately? I considered one [¹] but thought I'd finish up with lots of staples in random places close to, but not quite, where they'd be useful. In particular, I wouldn't feel at all confident using one when I come to putting the VCL on the rafters and joists.

[¹] it's what the chap in the shop advised when I finished up buying the electric one - he's given me very good advice on other things like my circular saw and nail gun.

Staple guns always annoy me. Iv been through a fair few by either losing my temper, Just loseing or having them stolen. 

Nowadays I favour towards clouts and a hammer. They seem to hold better. I usually need a hammer to get some of the staples in anyway and staple guns don't sit in my pouch very well. 

Tried a hammer stapler once. Missed the rafter, tore the felt. And that's the end of that story 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Staple guns always annoy me. Iv been through a fair few by either losing my temper, Just loseing or having them stolen. 

Nowadays I favour towards clouts and a hammer. They seem to hold better. I usually need a hammer to get some of the staples in anyway and staple guns don't sit in my pouch very well. 

Tried a hammer stapler once. Missed the rafter, tore the felt. And that's the end of that story 

Yup +1, been there.

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

Same here, still have it but it’s in the big  box marked “tools I never use....” there is some strange stuff in that box. 

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

Staple guns always annoy me. Iv been through a fair few by either losing my temper, …

Glad it's not just me. My first very cheap one ricocheted quite a distance after it hit my container.

My old joiner used to use a staple gun from Home Bargains .... it was worse than useless ..! He’d spend more time repairing it and I think had 3 broken ones in bits to make one good one. 

I have an Arrow hand stapler and a BEA air staple gun - heavy but will put a 35mm staple through fermacell into timber which is impressive ..!

11 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

do you struggle to hit the head of a nail with a hammer :P, i must say that i had a preference for a hammer tacker over a staple gun, but i was using it day in day out, tried a few different ones but the arrow ht50 as posted above is the best hammer tacker you can buy, hammer tackers are much faster than a staple gun

14 hours ago, Ed Davies said:

Am I wrong in suspecting that hammer tackers need a bit of skill and practice to use accurately? I considered one [¹] but thought I'd finish up with lots of staples in random places close to, but not quite, where they'd be useful. In particular, I wouldn't feel at all confident using one when I come to putting the VCL on the rafters and joists.

[¹] it's what the chap in the shop advised when I finished up buying the electric one - he's given me very good advice on other things like my circular saw and nail gun.

Can you hit a nail on the head?