Positive placement nailer

Russell griffiths

Google said...

Positive placement nailers use either the nail itself (to find the hole in the hardware) or a probe attached to the tip of the nosepiece.

The article in which I found this was dealing with fixing joist hangers.

Edited by Triassic

hmmmmm - I gogled but found nothing. I'm going back to Encyclopedia Britannica.. Silly question maybe, but why one of those and not a normal nail gun. Sort of sounds like a nail gun for registered blind people, if you see what I mean. If you're looking at what you're nailing, why the need for a detection method?

6 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

hmmmmm - I gogled but found nothing. I'm going back to Encyclopedia Britannica.. Silly question maybe, but why one of those and not a normal nail gun. Sort of sounds like a nail gun for registered blind people, if you see what I mean. If you're looking at what you're nailing, why the need for a detection method?

If you need to drive a nail precisely into a hole, say in a strap or joist hangar, then you need a positive placement nailer, as they they do what their name suggests, put the nail exactly where it's needed.  An ordinary first fix nailer isn't very accurate; it will put the nail in more or less where you want it, but can be a few mm out as there is no guide as to where the nail is actually going to go.

Never knew this tool existed. I like a shinny toy as much as the next person but TBH I don't think this would be on my list, It's pretty easy to hammer a 40mm twist nail even in quantity!

Edited by Alexphd1

6 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

how about this. I haven't read, but maybe the tip penetration from the head can be adjusted??

https://mymodernmet.com/invention-idea-auto-hammer-michael-david-young/

It’s not just that it fires into the hole precisely, it also fires the correct nails, don’t be using framing nails to fit your hangers. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

rather squeeze a finger 1000 times than swing my arm the same amount where possible

If it was a 1000 I would probably hand nail them

i have just had a rough add up and I think there’s about 5600 of those twist nails to go in. 

2 hours ago, Big Neil said:

ahhhh - so with a normal nailer you could actually end up shooting the ail through the metal strap then?

The nail doesn't go through a joist hanger, it just curls back on itself. That's trying with 51mm nails in a Paslode IM360 nailgun.

Yeah, I experimented. Cautiously. Wearing thick gloves and safety glasses (I do all the time anyway as I need the bifocal bits). About half way through the doing the various twist nails in my frame. Almost exactly the same number as Russell (5280 for the roof and floor plus whatever in the gable walls).

Looks like it has a fair bit of recoil, but at £73 per week before discount it initially seems mad that the timber frame teams don't use them until you consider they are supplied the normal framing nails etc but not collated ppn nails.  They just get supplied shedloads of twists.  They are on a price and not earning a fortune, so spending £400 on materials when they have a foc supply on site does not work for them. It took an age to do all the hangers by hand.