I beam wall construction

Simplysimon

could anyone who has had an i beam construction wall please give me a detail for the soleplate to wall plate. i'm trying to figure out the best method to construct the wall as a a unit rather than stickbuild. jji shows two thicknesses of solid timber, one soleplate and one wallplate, touchwood shows i beam as wall/soleplate with infills.

cheers

We have this and ours is 300mm FJI joist studs on top of two parallel sole plates of 75mm x 50 and 150 x 50 with 50mm x 75mm thick PU infill in the gap. Every so often the stud is fixed, via the web, to the concrete with a strong tie angle bracket in the PU trough which is fettled around the bracket. All on top of a DPC.

PS this is as our SE detailed.

Edited by MikeSharp01
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

thanks guys, were both these stick built or did the walls come in panels?

Mine is a portal frame and each individual part of the frame was made in the factory and fitted to the sole plate on site.

WSC00046.thumb.JPG.b8f7bc2f02267d691aefc7112ba8e0a7.JPG

PA110002.thumb.JPG.8152f1453957996e761cabaaf25fc361.JPG

• Thanks 1

On 16/01/2019 at 07:16, MikeSharp01 said:

We have this and ours is 300mm FJI joist studs on top of two parallel sole plates of 75mm x 50 and 150 x 50 with 50mm x 75mm thick PU infill in the gap. Every so often the stud is fixed, via the web, to the concrete with a strong tie angle bracket in the PU trough which is fettled around the bracket. All on top of a DPC.

PS this is as our SE detailed.

@MikeSharp01 would you happen to have any section drawings of this? Would be appreciated.

Ours is similar to @MikeSharp01 with twin parallel sole plates made of 45x95mm timber with insulation in-between. Only difference is the sole plates are concrete screwed into the block work below with a closed cell foam gasket beneath the timber and DPC.

This was detailed by our frame engineer at my request as the original plan was a 300mmx45 glulam which seemed a fairly large cold bridge. 

Edited by bissoejosh

• 1 year later...

Has any one else used I joists for the top header plate in a I joist build ?  If possible I would like to forward my engineer some example drawings as I want to steer away from solid glulams.