Timber clad suppliers and advice please

ollie

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am looking into ordering Siberian Larch, rough sawn boards for a board-on-board cladding . Not too soon, more like end of the year/autumn time.

Currently getting prices together.

Importing a lot of material from EU so might do that, but accidentally found a UK importer that seems to be not the usual rip-off.

Rare, but sometimes your lucky. We will see. Off the shelf price for Siberian larch board 25mm x 150mm is 15GBP/sqm  ////   600GBP/ m3 

this is not amazing, but much better starting price then I got elsewhere and might be worth to haggle.

Just saying this because:

1. Maybe somebody is interested in combining orders

2. maybe somebody gotten a better supplier somewhere else in the UK

If this doesnt work i go back to my original polish supply plan

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

I am looking into ordering Siberian Larch, rough sawn boards for a board-on-board cladding

I have done some cladding with this. The splinters were awful and took about 2 weeks before my hands were back to normal. The timber was treated with non-com fire retardant, which may have added to the issue, but get a sample to check.

I got this from Vastern in Wootton Bassett, but best to shop around.

55 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

It was really expensive as it had to be sent across the country to have the fire retardant applied vacuum impregnated.

I was speaking to Vastern a few weeks ago about fire retardant.  They send it to Tilbury in Essex for the fire treatment.  Freight cost between the 2 sites was £420

4 hours ago, Cambs said:

I was speaking to Vastern a few weeks ago about fire retardant.  They send it to Tilbury in Essex for the fire treatment.  Freight cost between the 2 sites was £420

At the time Building Control insisted on the non com which was only available from one supplier at huge cost. I would have preferred cement board cladding but planners wanted timber. Waste of money as it was only a field in the neighbouring site.

17 hours ago, Patrick said:

Hi,

I am looking into ordering Siberian Larch, rough sawn boards for a board-on-board cladding . Not too soon, more like end of the year/autumn time.

Currently getting prices together.

Importing a lot of material from EU so might do that, but accidentally found a UK importer that seems to be not the usual rip-off.

I found this site useful for comparing the durability of the various timber species available as cladding

https://www.tdca.org.uk/timber-cladding/cladding-wood-types/