Timber clad suppliers and advice please

ollie

Hi, this is my first post on these forums.

We are in the process of a new build in Yorkshire.

It's a closed panel timber frame kit house that will be finished in their base white render.

Our planning permission is for 100% dark wood cladding, but have decided to undertake this ourselves as the kit company were charging a fortune for the cladding and their options were very limited.

Can anyone recommend someone trusted to supply and fit or any general advice regarding apply timber cladding to white render exterior.

thanks in advance!

Oliver

Here is our partially completed render / clad combination.

Not yet blogged about it as it has been complicated and very stressful.

Have mixed feelings about the company we have used so am waiting until then end when I can be a little more objective.

We are pleased with the overall effect though.  The cladding and render butt up against each other.

Happy to PM if that is helpful at this stage.  Will fully report publicly in a few weeks when finished.....

dqp1KRyGwwNonFyhZAJ7ZzTXfVJnToeznK5HlGgaJwe12DSCQQsOxo0mYFhYtqqt-onyP6GcgUdiqhZYSouqKn3hAbYgChlVMSDdYmFW9zHLBkROSDSBYu-2wMNbXtuSMdQIm9PlNe_OUaFL0xUGj2_C2BfmK7S9oRlsmKWem3QKVLcJYE4-BrEL9lNWGiSbgFgtBUL3kmjldvucDQCTa1ITl7LGJxjW2nqZ31Yfqv364TcdN_cBv7Ftx8oLkdgc4NJnHqqZFDIDPYnk89W5Nqvp8mOwA8mEcrM_Eiy4v7yhxUPsb1uoXHLbYuKn0t7Xrwk7yB0seE1THYvBCs0HwQ2BuEuTYzGTT5yrTaoLI-qsMDZ1vl5hrKivV8gKcEgDn5-olJ55cwG751NVUtx8_Cqpd6W5lZGvp6ZirVURVWCmiMLli1HW0jnBSz9p7HKJk5PsPTkkkTW563R3NchyCW-vY8qSCTngkKOxsxa_M8Cet_4JEDbFIUJZ4wHQroyiwGrcuUvzqWnaR9Ujh2lj2DpJHyjs5KbK4k6hhNINpAccxHxQ-MWp7fQ8xG4Jr6NQEp4s19yfTSYVJyh0QVgX0i_DFg9_DkJG1JANYoTPIWzH5nrz_JS9mnyFHPSfxmcn6KGmF_KZGAFqPbn__ODiw9zRLA=w667-h889-no

45 minutes ago, Weebles said:

Here is our partially completed render / clad combination.

Not yet blogged about it as it has been complicated and very stressful.

Have mixed feelings about the company we have used so am waiting until then end when I can be a little more objective.

We are pleased with the overall effect though.  The cladding and render butt up against each other.

Happy to PM if that is helpful at this stage.  Will fully report publicly in a few weeks when finished.....

dqp1KRyGwwNonFyhZAJ7ZzTXfVJnToeznK5HlGgaJwe12DSCQQsOxo0mYFhYtqqt-onyP6GcgUdiqhZYSouqKn3hAbYgChlVMSDdYmFW9zHLBkROSDSBYu-2wMNbXtuSMdQIm9PlNe_OUaFL0xUGj2_C2BfmK7S9oRlsmKWem3QKVLcJYE4-BrEL9lNWGiSbgFgtBUL3kmjldvucDQCTa1ITl7LGJxjW2nqZ31Yfqv364TcdN_cBv7Ftx8oLkdgc4NJnHqqZFDIDPYnk89W5Nqvp8mOwA8mEcrM_Eiy4v7yhxUPsb1uoXHLbYuKn0t7Xrwk7yB0seE1THYvBCs0HwQ2BuEuTYzGTT5yrTaoLI-qsMDZ1vl5hrKivV8gKcEgDn5-olJ55cwG751NVUtx8_Cqpd6W5lZGvp6ZirVURVWCmiMLli1HW0jnBSz9p7HKJk5PsPTkkkTW563R3NchyCW-vY8qSCTngkKOxsxa_M8Cet_4JEDbFIUJZ4wHQroyiwGrcuUvzqWnaR9Ujh2lj2DpJHyjs5KbK4k6hhNINpAccxHxQ-MWp7fQ8xG4Jr6NQEp4s19yfTSYVJyh0QVgX0i_DFg9_DkJG1JANYoTPIWzH5nrz_JS9mnyFHPSfxmcn6KGmF_KZGAFqPbn__ODiw9zRLA=w667-h889-no

Can you tell me the render and cladding colours please?

I am not sure why you are cladding over the render?

Be aware of fire spread if the building is close to any boundary.  Natural timber weathers to grey which is not to everyone's taste.  You can coat it but it needs frequent re-coating. You could look at some of the pre-coloured cement cladding options.  If you go with timber, it is just decide what you like and shop around for prices.  The suppliers can give useful installation advice.  Can be installed by a reasonable pair of chippies.

15 hours ago, Simplysimon said:

unless you burn it to give it a natural protection, colours it at the same time, win/win

I have seen pictures of buildings in Japan with this finish.  Very striking.  I would not want to brush past it in my wedding dress though.

21 hours ago, ultramods said:

Can you tell me the render and cladding colours please?

The render is the SAS ProWall Rainscreen system in white.  Had render board, base coats, mesh and top coats - still not finished.

The cladding is the Cedral Click cement board mounted vertically.  In "Dark Brown".  We chose this because it is low / no maintenance and wouldn't weather like a natural wood.  Should hopefully look like this for a long time to come.  

The joint between the render and cladding will be siliconed I believe but I will post more on that as things progress.

• Thanks 1

On 15/01/2019 at 17:50, Crofter said:

Surely you change the spec of the build and not pay for render? 

What's the wall buildup?

We are going with a company called Dan wood attached is their wall build up which is their standard base package finish.

They were going to charge £17k for a Siberian Larch clad , but due to our ground works coming in more expensive than anticipated we had to strip the cladding off in order to have funds for the ground works. With the view of cladding the build ourselves in accordance with with our planning once we save enough money to do so, hence reverting to their base render option.

We are totally new to all this so any help or advice would be incredibly welcome!

thanks

Oliver 

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 11.43.58.png

Just now, Mr Punter said:

Hi Oliver

Did they give you an external wall section where the proposal was for timber cladding?  How far into the build are you?  

Hi there thanks for your reply, no they didn't but I was planning to ask them what their system is for when they do the cladding, so I could pass this information on to whoever we choose to clad it.

My main concern is not to jeopardise the high level of insulation performance the kit house offers when we clad. 

The kit house company are not happy about us undertaking it ourselves as it could void our warranty but we don't really have option.

re: how far into the build we are - currently doing final tweaks to the house design.

I don't know how much you can change their offering, but you could swap that 120mm polystyrene layer for a thinner layer of polyurethane foam (probably about 80mm for the same performance, but that depends on the exact materials in question). This would allow a more efficient footprint and thus some savings on roof/foundation costs relative to floor area, and would also make fixing your cladding considerably easier.

I wonder how that buildup handles moisture transfer. The insulation and render appears to present a fairly impermeable barrier on the outside of the house. I designed my own buildup to become more porous as you work your way from inside to out. But cleverer people than me can probably comment on that one.

If you didn't have the layer of render, I presume you would still need something on the outside of the insulation- perhaps a breather membrane. That would certainly be far cheaper and easier than render. Then you simply apply vertical counter-battens over that, fixed through the insulation using long screws, and horizontal cladding battens over that. You might be able to fix those battens using short screws into the counter-battens, but only if the counter-battens are meaty enough. Mine were only 25mm so I used more long screws, which passed through both sets of battens and into the studs.

Fitting the cladding itself is pretty straightforward- a coil nailer and some stainless nails helps. But watch out for the corners and where you meet any openings, it's quite easy to make a mistake in these places.

Are you thinking of board-on-board, or some other cladding profile?

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/01/2019 at 12:03, the_r_sole said:

Danwood systems are pretty much you get what you're given, they're not really up for changing or adapting anything (try asking for a window halfway up a stair for example! or a window within 600mm of a corner...)

my sister had a house designed by danwood and they were happy to change lots of things for her, including adding a porch and making the house bigger to meet crofter grant sizes for rooms, what they werent good for was sticking to the budget or giving her the correct information about the process which resulted in my sister not being able to proceed with the build due to increased costs after the 6 month planning process which was blamed on brexit

On 15/01/2019 at 19:39, Simplysimon said:

unless you burn it to give it a natural protection, colours it at the same time, win/win

Have you taken a look at any builds several years after this type of cladding is installed. The burned finish washes off over time leaving a mixture of black char and grey timber.

yeh i wondered about the cost spiraling aswell but the architect was very keen to build a house in shetland as the "self build" market is pretty much the only way that houses are built up here, in the end the price jumped up by about 20k in the 6 months the planning took and my sister had to walk away having only spent lots of her time and the cost of the planning application, i think thee architect was just expecting her to stump up another 20k on an already expensive house

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/01/2019 at 13:04, Weebles said:

The render is the SAS ProWall Rainscreen system in white.  Had render board, base coats, mesh and top coats - still not finished.

The cladding is the Cedral Click cement board mounted vertically.  In "Dark Brown".  We chose this because it is low / no maintenance and wouldn't weather like a natural wood.  Should hopefully look like this for a long time to come.  

The joint between the render and cladding will be siliconed I believe but I will post more on that as things progress.

Oops, quoted wrong post before.

Weebles

I wondered if the render and cladding was finished yet?  We are thinking of a similar combination so I'm interested in your experience.

Randomiser.

21 hours ago, Randomiser said:

I wondered if the render and cladding was finished yet?  We are thinking of a similar combination so I'm interested in your experience

Hi, it is just finished. Am going to blog post on it properly. We are pleased with the eventual outcome but it has been a very expensive and stressful journey. It is difficult for us to recommend the company we used (who were recommended by SAS) because their quality of work has been so variable. Their project management has been almost non existent. So big lessons for us.

Still under scaffolding but here is the finished effect. Will detail some of the issues in the blog.....(which hopefully i’ll have time to update whilst off work next week)

71276B73-DC30-45B1-B830-973CB8B31942.jpeg

2 hours ago, Weebles said:

Hi, it is just finished. Am going to blog post on it properly. We are pleased with the eventual outcome but it has been a very expensive and stressful journey. It is difficult for us to recommend the company we used (who were recommended by SAS) because their quality of work has been so variable. Their project management has been almost non existent. So big lessons for us.

Still under scaffolding but here is the finished effect. Will detail some of the issues in the blog.....(which hopefully i’ll have time to update whilst off work next week)

71276B73-DC30-45B1-B830-973CB8B31942.jpeg

Looks very nice, even behind the scaffold!  Looking forward to the blog post, but expensive and stressful is not really what I am after!

Randomiser.

Edited by Randomiser