ICF wall hangers - Lavann..

Anyone used these or considered them? They seem (certainly in respect of polystyrene based ICF builds) like such a simple option. 2 slits, re-barred in from behind and bobs your uncle. Pour your concrete. there's a Canadian chap called Cody on YouTube who suggests using a length of wood once a line has been marked, to rest them on to avoid twisting during the pour. 

15 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

There is a few options for hanging joists. We went the cheapest but most time consuming. We bolted a timber batten into the concrete around the icf and hang the posi joist of the top chord on the timber batten. 

Morning Alex. Have you any pictures. I've been looking at the different hangers recently as I would never fully understand their installation. The link below seems to have an interesting options, in fact looks like what i have suggested above to a degree, i.e have hung the hangers on the chord before attaching it to the wall. Makes sense really. If you have a straight piece of timber you can evenly space the hangers without having to wobble around on a ladder, plus you have a margin of error i suppose in regards the retaining bolts

http://www.ana-white.com/2011/10/momplex/how-frame-floor-inside-icf-walls-part-1

43 minutes ago, Alexphd1 said:

There is a few options for hanging joists. We went the cheapest but most time consuming. We bolted a timber batten into the concrete around the icf and hang the posi joist of the top chord on the timber batten. 

Hi Alex, why do you think it was the most time consuming 

im about to do this in the next couple of weeks

im really not sold on those icf brackets, I don’t like the way the screws are all that holds the two brackets together. 

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

are you sure these will work with Durisol 

i would have thought there was to many obstructions in the blocks to find a suitable place to put both brackets. 

Do durisol have an approved method. 

No idea, but as far as polystyrene based systems go seems quite simple

14 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

im really not sold on those icf brackets, I don’t like the way the screws are all that holds the two brackets together. 

Which ones do you mean, the Lavann hangers?

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

all this stuff is American

Fair point. Mind you, if they use the same principal of measurements and standards as Canada, then I suppose with Nudura being Canadian, i guess it would more likely work ??

Did you peak at that system where  they cut holes, inserted bolts then put plates on  to prevent spill. What are your opinions on that?

16 minutes ago, Big Neil said:

Fair point. Mind you, if they use the same principal of measurements and standards as Canada, then I suppose with Nudura being Canadian, i guess it would more likely work ??

Did you peak at that system where  they cut holes, inserted bolts then put plates on  to prevent spill. What are your opinions on that?

That’s exactly the same as in that video, except without fitting the rim board until after the concrete has set. 

I get that now - Thanks Russell. Will you be pre hanging to joist hangers onto that plate/rim joist or whatever the correct name is, before or after it gets cemented onto the wall? I guess one could also put a length  of maybe 2*4 as the level once the line has been marked and cut the relevant holes UP from that.

I’m hoping to hang the pole plate(English name) rim board (yank name) wall plate(wrong name) before the concrete goes in, all bolts in place for concrete to surround them

will fit joist hangers later as I will hire a positive placement gun to do this, as I have far to many nails to even think about doing it by hand

Pole PLate - gotcha

I've watched that video thoroughly now with sound and it makes sense. The Pole plate is held in front of the holes by using screws into the thingamejigs which are also used for plasterboard fixing, Holes drilled through into the holes then anchor bolts inserted from the void side tied if possible against rebar, but pre-tensioned by doing the nut up a bit.

Makes total sense. And I suppose it you have already checked the piece you're using as the pole plate is level, you just line the joist hangers up at the top and the floor by association, is level.

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

I’m hoping to hang the pole plate(English name) rim board (yank name) wall plate(wrong name)

Mine was called a hanger plate, just to complicate things. Was fitted to timber frame though, not ICF

• Haha 1

We done exactly as on video. Then hang the posi joist on top chord on the rim joist no metal hangers. The rim joist also reinforced for the pour and worked well with zont bracing, it may get in way of metal bracing? 

We made the mistake of cutting the hole between every second plastic tie (nudara) thinking this was metric..... the nuts and washers clashed with the joists every now and again..... We just stuck in extra joists and sorted out 400 centers when clear of nuts again. 

Also put in a cutting of plastic dpm between the timber and the concrete.

Worked very well, replicate on build 2. 

Edited by Alexphd1

I didn't realise you could make posi joists on site. Luckily we have a factory a few miles from us and ordered joists in small quantity, think smallest order was 15....

All joists where made in factory, we have a metal I beam in centre and used this side for a few mm packers where we had more tolerance on top chord. The minimum was 45mm overhang on top chord, the timber is 47mm wide and the top chord is a mm into the eps. 

I did have a few sleepless nights between ordering and joists arriving!

Edited by Alexphd1