Garden suggestions

Pocster

Hey all,

So at my 'luxury HMO' ? I haven't touched the rear garden.

It's about 5m x 6m. What's the *cheapest* way to make this low maintenance and practical ?.

Decking????. Had someone look and he wanted 5k (!!!!!) - he was going to remove lots of soil.

Not for 5k you're not!

So I want somewhere the tenants can sit out.

IMG_8469.jpg

You could pave the half nearest the house and have a step or 2 up to decking at the back, where you could have a properly fixed rotary washing line.  Dig out where you are paving and put that under where the deck will be.  Consider keeping some borders / planting pits.  A bit of effort on design will cost next to nothing and the finished garden will be much better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would never have decking because of potential creatures living under it. If you didn't want grass I would consider having some paving up by the patio doors, and then pea gravel on the rest. Should just be a case of scraping off the top layer / get rid of the vegetation, put down some membrane and then laying gravel on top. You can plant some evergreen low maintenance plants within the gravel if you wanted to. As many or as few as you like, or you could have planters but that would require someone to water them in summer. I've had success with Hebe, dwarf conifers and the like by planting them in the gravel - you don't want anything growing big in that small area although something to cover that back wall etc might be good. A gravel garden isn't no maintenance however and someone would still need to pull out the weeds that self seed in the gravel. 

How do you actually get into the garden? Looks like an escape tunnel at the back left  :D

Something like this (random grabs). Thought the last one was a good one as you could have a matching step to go with the kitchen diner ;)

IMG_0198-e1474833205333.jpg?w=496&h=279&

TNlow-maintenance-DSCF5283.jpg

TN2013_03_res3.jpg

54 minutes ago, newhome said:

I would never have decking because of potential creatures living under it. If you didn't want grass I would consider having some paving up by the patio doors, and then pea gravel on the rest. Should just be a case of scraping off the top layer / get rid of the vegetation, put down some membrane and then laying gravel on top. You can plant some evergreen low maintenance plants within the gravel if you wanted to. As many or as few as you like, or you could have planters but that would require someone to water them in summer. I've had success with Hebe, dwarf conifers and the like by planting them in the gravel - you don't want anything growing big in that small area although something to cover that back wall etc might be good. A gravel garden isn't no maintenance however and someone would still need to pull out the weeds that self seed in the gravel. 

How do you actually get into the garden? Looks like an escape tunnel at the back left  :D

Something like this (random grabs). Thought the last one was a good one as you could have a matching step to go with the kitchen diner ;)

IMG_0198-e1474833205333.jpg?w=496&h=279&

TNlow-maintenance-DSCF5283.jpg

TN2013_03_res3.jpg

Yeah someone ;'attempted' to get in at the back. CCTV up now.

You can access the garden from either the kitchen or patio doors off the lounge.

40 minutes ago, Ed Davies said:

What's the significance of the existing row (or two) of rocks at an angle across?

Erm, no significance. Probably been like that since I bought the house. Perhaps previously there was a raised flower bed or something....

15 hours ago, Declan52 said:

A roll of black polythene,  a few tonnes of pink pea gravel, a shovel and barrow. 

Yeah; that's about as simple as you can get.

One thing I do find is that the gravel can get stuck in the soles of your shoe's and then scratch my nice laminated floors ( yeah I know they'll scratch them anyway! )

12 minutes ago, pocster said:

Yeah; that's about as simple as you can get.

One thing I do find is that the gravel can get stuck in the soles of your shoe's and then scratch my nice laminated floors ( yeah I know they'll scratch them anyway! )

A mat at the door to wipe your feet. 

1 hour ago, pocster said:

One thing I do find is that the gravel can get stuck in the soles of your shoe's and then scratch my nice laminated floors 

They’ll do that anyway with stilettos ? ?

We rented our old house out for 18 months before we sold it to fund this self build.  We laid a load of bark chippings onto a membrane at the rear of the garden.  No stones coming into the house....

The tenants did sweet nothing to the garden in 18 months so was a bit overgrown by the time they moved out.  But it did prove to be low maintenance ?

gZKG7i9u3CtVmmRYJWTLxzkgmcTG_32Jgx3yGiRGLsLGBer3hT5w-9XCcp7iQkrLaMyR-TO7Tm5T2tDv4W9rpkUmsi1JlRK5MLtz86LuA-LMw4-M929_A63v1n1SXTMwc02wBI1N7pcJ6hoKiwbWj6tcIAa_zMnJXojKzq2R_aDBe9GcC16A_3TLm7HVScVN6Q7GHSHlT40CvYbkiIPwNRsZA2HnJwZWrC9Wk5OIcSWKLaXLF-acrOuG_I9CdNeVNoinFyYbP6zzktlWk5l5ZErRIFXO-7lGYuBcztV1zk1E3QMG5n6GrsxC9PwgKYTiNl4TghsDuFcYWNPI9A-UXvxfO0DedC-aTHUAp48-Dkgw7r-kYeUiI-xKCJXC0rm-wv3mJBeA9SLlCYfY-SvwDzD0l63brGEG4_Tmb5nI_hF3ZFiy3SXpW1DdjonGQg_crj_q74TRczCW-Q3xysus_hPyNUrL8nLanwKNSs-GWAj_2JAeQwwkdpi_ffDdhL8ZbuzCRz2ILuHO0k_8VbiY1LMiZnBk3q7JaGk9i9mXKKVl-mIk8xRpPAGVTbzpODPEF6fiASXhQkELTBq65a4DnFTyTxmu5PjsmnXQ7Fuo5qqxDtF4jBJ88cJNu_0k6ejQsD6obhtrYwBzPfKXGEiJrYF5sw=w1186-h889-no